Rear tyres, are more expensive ones worth it for the road?

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Rear tyres, are more expensive ones worth it for the road?

Post by Jug »

My 990 Superduke has this on the rear currently,

Michelin Pilot Road 3 - 180/55 ZR17 (73W)
Sports bike shop price £125.65

It's classed as a twin compound sport/touring tyre, and as far as I can tell it feels good, but then so does the one on my 650 Vstrom, and that's a £55 Maxxis... and there lies the problem (for me anyway) are expensive tyres really worth it if you're not doing track days?

..so if I stick with the same brand and series here are choices I face,

Michelin Pilot Power - 180/55 ZR17 (73W)
Single compound £85.95

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT - 180/55 ZR17 (73W)
Twin compound £103.02

Michelin Pilot Road 2 - 180/55 ZR17 (73W)
Twin Compound £108.79

However I could go crazy and up spec to..

Michelin Pilot Road 4 - 180/55 ZR17 (73W) £144.47
Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT - 180/55 ZR17 (73W) £147.42
Michelin Power SuperSport Evo - 180/55 ZR17 (73W) £150.75
Michelin Power Pure - 180/55 ZR17 (73W) £158.72

Where (or how) are you supposed to draw the line?
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Rear tyres, are more expensive ones worth it for the roa

Post by billinom8s »

ALL depends on how you ride on the road.

If you are out thrashing it and aatpgma the torque you can't expect to trust a shear tyre to do the same work as a tyre designed to give you lots of grip and feedback.
If however you are ripping up Tyres every few hundred miles on the road maybe you need to sort out your pressures, shock, compound choice or sign up for a Race team of some kind.

On my Duke I have a soft compound front and a Sports Tourer tyre on the rear. Once warmed up the rear tyre provides me with good grip and life expectancy. But then I don't nail the thing everywhere.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

billinom8s wrote: and a Sports Tourer tyre on the rear. Once warmed up the rear tyre provides me with good grip and life expectancy. But then I don't nail the thing everywhere.
Just out of interest, what do you run?

I don't nail it everywhere, I'm a kind 'blip it then cruise' type rider. Don't often do WOT throttle and don't race, just make good progress where appropriate. :wink:

I would imagine that when I need to change my current rear (about 1/3 left), I'll probably get something like the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. An older design sports touring tyre that is dual compound. I don't see the point in paying a premium for the latest & greatest when I'm really not taxing the bike or the tyre.
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

I've just finished off a pair of pr4,'s had 6000 good miles out of them (never had a problem with grip and rode nice ) After 6000 miles they started to wear funny and didn't​ feel so nice so decided to change them. Think the pr4's cost me £220 fitted. How long would a maxxis last? It's possible to spend more on cheaper tires just down to the fitting cost being more frequent.
Got a cheap pair of diablo stradas on now I like them probably good for 5000 miles. Will try Metzler roadtech 01's next.
The best tiers are the ones you like.
ST4
DRZ400e
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

I'm quite new back to road biking and I have never owned a road bike that I have changed a rear tyre on until this year. I'm not convinced that I would be able to tell the difference in the handling between two average quality tyres as I don't ride hard enough, though I read often people saying they hated this brand of tyre etc etc., :?

It was my Vstrom rear that I changed. After the Alps last year it was done and had a large flat in it cause by the long ride home. I noticed the bike didn't tip in to corners well anymore, and the rear would slip out if I was powering hard out of a corner, caused I suspect by the edge of that flat.
I then changed this tyre for a budget sports touring one just to see, and not a 70:30 (road/trail) tyre like was on her as that bike will never see a dirt track. The Maxxis had good reviews and I must say it feels great, it performed well 2up around Wales a few weekends ago, and I have pushed the chicken strips towards the edges. :)):

I think any quality tyre will feel better than the worn out one it's replacing, especially if it had a flat in it.
I just don't see the point of dumping loads of ££ into tyres that aren't being pushed to their limit, or am I wrong?
scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

I've got a 950 SM now and run michelins and also the same on the SMT I had for 40'000 miles. I run a mix of tyres. A Pilot Power 2ct up front and a Pilot Power Road 2 on the rear. I also run the Power 2ct on the rear but I'm hard pushed to tell the difference between that and the Road 2, other than the Road 2 lasts considerably longer. Bridgestone BT023 isn't a bad tyre either and reasonably cheap to boot.
The original Power 2ct is Michelins best selling tyre ever and many prefer it over the Power 3.
I've tried Pilot Road 3's aswell but preferred the Road 2.
I've got some lightly used Conti sport contact 3's to go on next time, but I expect i'll go back to Michelins as for the money they are an excellent tyre. No doubt there's better out there but they usually come at a higher price.
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

A few threads about the supermaxx diamonds. Had them on my ST1050 @Llandow and they were bald at the end but were pretty bald before I started. lol
Running on MT
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Jug_Inspector wrote:
billinom8s wrote: and a Sports Tourer tyre on the rear. Once warmed up the rear tyre provides me with good grip and life expectancy. But then I don't nail the thing everywhere.
Just out of interest, what do you run?

BATTLAX hypersport BT016 on the front
METZELER roadtec Z6 on the rear
KTM 990 superduke R,
gee46
Learner Driver
First Name: gareth

Post by gee46 »

On my triumph speed triple I am always going though tyres but this time I went for Bridgestone T30 evos and they seem to be lasting really well and are super grippy and give a lot off feed back and good confidence
Yatesy
Learner Driver
First Name: Steve

Post by Yatesy »

gee46 wrote:On my triumph speed triple I am always going though tyres but this time I went for Bridgestone T30 evos and they seem to be lasting really well and are super grippy and give a lot off feed back and good confidence
Used the T30 on the cbr 600 at haslam race school twice. I'm no pro but you notice how well they grip in the wet, the track day was still shit cos it was wet but I was leaning a lot more than I imagined i would be. Good in the dry as well tho.
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

I've just taken delivery of some T30s, will get them fitted and get out to play.
KTM 990 superduke R,
graham22
Learner Driver

Post by graham22 »

I ran Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs on my 990SD, prior to that Pilot Sports.

The profile just made the bike roll into corners really nicely and consistent through their life. 2500 miles from both ends, would mark the rear to the edges nicely.

I know it's a different make but once spoke to (can't remember his name, ex-125 racer/Bridgestone National Tyre rep) who told me at the time the only difference between their BT54 Sport Touring tyre & BT56 Sport tyre was an extra 2mm of tread - I do wonder with the rave reviews of Michelin Pilot Road if this is still somewhat the case.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

A person I know who is currently at the top of the National Hillclimb Championship, where tyre warmers are not allowed & so all runs are done on cold tyres, runs Pilot Road 4's on his RSV4 Tuono race bike :-bd

I think you will find for normal road use, you are unlikely to find a tyre thats design is a couple of years old performing poorly. I have run Diablo's on the TL for many years now, and have just put Pilot Power 2CT's on it. The MV came with Pilot Power 2CT's on it, but now wears Metzler M5's. All these tyres are "old" designs, but still available. All work well, and last time I looked with a little searching could be picked up for £150 or less per pair for 120/70/17 & 190/55/17.

Oponeo, M&P, Busters, Black Circles are good places to start looking, but don't forget to allow upto £20/tyre for fitting to loose wheels locally if you don't know someone who can do it .......
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

I agree with Moose. When a manufacturer brings out the new super-duper wonder tyre it gets rave reviews, is the must have and costs a fortune. Their just replaced super-duper wonder tyre may be old hat and yesterdays news but it'll be cheap and still good enough for us mere mortals. Just be wary of old stock that may have degraded.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Gimlet
Learner Driver
First Name: Jim

Post by Gimlet »

I've been using Metzeler M7RRs on everything because they're just the best fast road tyre I've ever used. None of them are cheap any more and if you've got a bike with a lot of power no tyre is going to last long. Its a price you have to pay so you might as well have the tyre that feels best and gives good performance for the maximum number of miles. Of the fast road tyres the M7s do that for me. All quality tyres will provide more grip than I can use but the M7s stand out because they warm very quickly, perform in all conditions and they are resistant to squaring off, which matters for general road use when you can't be a hero all the time, and if they do start to flatten they are fairly easy to scrub back in again. Some tyres are not and once they get a shoulder on them, they're wrecked. And the Metzelers keep performing right to the very last of the tread so you get your money's worth.

Sold my SMT recently and bought a KTM 1190 Adventure and I'm getting to grips ;) with dual purpose tyres. I must admit its nice having a rear tyre that lasts over 4000 miles and doesn't need constant monitoring to work out if there's going to be enough left for the next weekend's riding. Its nice not have to plan bank holidays around tyre deliveries and fitting as well.

The 1190 has Conti Trail Attack IIs and I've been pleasantly surprised how well they ride. Stacks more grip than I expected. And they even tear up relatively easily which suggests they're a softer, grippier compound than I would have thought and yet they still put in the miles. Quite a shallow profile though. It doesn't take mush to run off the edge and its a pretty small footprint when you get there. I've had to learn to ride differently. Sportier, even sports touring options are limited with adventure rim sizes. I was reading a good write-up on the T30 Evos in Fast Bikes but can't get them. The 19" front is the stumbling block. The only sports tourers I've found are Metzeler Roadtec 01 but they're bloody expensive. Think I may have to stick with the Contis.
On the strength of the Trail Attacks I might try Sport Attacks on the Superduke.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
KTM 1190 Adventure