Ride out to Sammy Miller Motorcycle Museum -Sunday 26th Nov'

Look in here for local ride outs...

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
You are of course welcome along to any Southwestbikers rideout, however your bike must be in good mechanical order (we don’t want anything falling off of it including you), taxed and have a current MOT. You must have a valid motorcycle licence and current motor insurance. You are in charge of your motorcycle at all times and SWB will not accept any responsibility for actions you take or any accidents you may have. Always ride within your own capabilities and do not put others at risk. Remember, while you are on a Southwestbikers rideout you are representing the site and what it stands for.
Thank-you.

Don't forget......ANYONE can organise and run a rideout.
Types of rideouts - viewtopic.php?f=94&t=89587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Ride out to Sammy Miller Motorcycle Museum -Sunday 26th Nov'

Post by Robbo87 »

Another fine dry and bright biking day is forecast for this Sunday (26th), so I want to make the most of it before the weather reverts to its usual UK-in-the-winter 'orribleness. I haven't been to the famous Sammy Miller Motorcycle Museum in New Milton, Hants for several years and a ride to there now beckons. https://sammymiller.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unusualy for me, this ride will use 'A' roads. The basic route details are: A30, A35, A31, B3073, A35, B3055. Approx' miles from Honiton - 79.

Here's the route: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/EX14+ ... d50.765778" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will be a 'making progress' ride, and if anyone wants to join me I will be leaving Smileys Cafe picnic area just off the A30 Honiton by-pass - EX14 1BQ at 0900 hrs.

There will be a coffee stop and to allow several peeps to join en route. It's a Starbucks and it's on the A31 near Corfe Mullen here: https://www.starbucks.co.uk/store-locat ... 21-3-ha-gb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . . . . . . . . . eta there 1030 hrs.

If a whole lot of you hardy(!) souls turn out for this then great, and we'll use the drop off system. If just the usual suspects then great, we all know what to do!
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Re: Ride out to Sammy Miller Motorcycle Museum -Sunday 26th

Post by ptolemyx »

I might be able to make this one if I get the fairing and wheels back on the Busa in time after a good ole tinker and scrub up of all the hidden bits - let you know if the bike's ready nearer Sunday. Not been to the Sammy Miller before, should be well interesting.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Gimlet
Learner Driver
First Name: Jim

Post by Gimlet »

I'll meet you at the Corfe Mullen stop. Probably ride back to West Bay on the way back.

Keep an eye for speed traps on the A35
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
KTM 1190 Adventure
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

Gimlet wrote:I'll meet you at the Corfe Mullen stop. Probably ride back to West Bay on the way back.

Keep an eye for speed traps on the A35
O.k. Am meeting Jerry D and A.N.Other there too, they're travelling from Mere. The forecast is for a dry day, but it's going to be a bit 'heated grips' first thing so I'll be peddling lightly, don't think I'll be bothering the gatso's too much on this run.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Sorry Phil, I don't have enough thermals. The old bones can't stand it this cold. Next time tho' 8)
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

Sammy Miller's is a top day out, a really fascinating place. Seeing the weird and wonderful bikes there is great, and some truly promising prototypes from the old British bike industry that really would have given them a chance to compete against the emerging Japanese manufacturers. Sadly, the bean counters beat the Engineers, and the Brit bike industry suffered a slow death by accountants.

I have to ask, why insist on riding over in winter? Sure, I rode when I visited but it was in July. It's easier and more comfortable to walk around a museum in civvies than shuffling about in layers of textiles with running noses...
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Because we ride all year round.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

...or don't have a car.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Gimlet
Learner Driver
First Name: Jim

Post by Gimlet »

We had a change of itinerary. There were two cancellations due to age and infirmity and one suspected electronic Gremlin (which thankfully didn't put in a further appearance) necessitating a late start, so three of us met at West Bay and took a bracing A road blast to Compton Abbas cafe.

Chilly but not that bad, Roads were damp in places so no heroics but an enjoyable winter run. Thanks for the day out Phil and Andy. Hope you got home in the dry. When we parted company at Shaftesbury it was looking a bit black over Bill's Mother's.

It was spotting an hour later when I went to Tescos. In the car, with the heater on..
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
KTM 1190 Adventure
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

Yup, it was a good day out, clocked up around 160 miles. Andy and I caught a shower or two on our way back west from Compton Abbas airfield cafe, but nothing to worry us, or slow us down. Let's face it, it's always good to be out on a bike and I personaly don't need much encouragement, weather usually being less of a problem than anything else. You learn so much more about handling a bike when the road conditions are less than perfect, means you're more ready to cope when/if conditions change when you are out and about.
Thanks to Jim and Andy for the company - a proper V Twin fest! Maybe we'll get to Sammy Miller's before much longer. Commiserations to Jerry, Ken and Brian for having to dib out. Get well soon Jerry, hope to see you and the others out on the next one.
Like a few others on here, I'm not just a fair weather rider, I'll ride out as often as time, money and circumstances allow and it's always good to have company. So I'll be on Si's rideout on the 10th December. There hasn't been a SWB rideout organised well in advance for quite a time; it'll be interesting to see who turns out.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.