SWB Friendly ride details

Look in here for local ride outs...

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
You are of course welcome along to any Southwestbikers rideout, however your bike must be in good mechanical order (we don’t want anything falling off of it including you), taxed and have a current MOT. You must have a valid motorcycle licence and current motor insurance. You are in charge of your motorcycle at all times and SWB will not accept any responsibility for actions you take or any accidents you may have. Always ride within your own capabilities and do not put others at risk. Remember, while you are on a Southwestbikers rideout you are representing the site and what it stands for.
Thank-you.

Don't forget......ANYONE can organise and run a rideout.
Types of rideouts - viewtopic.php?f=94&t=89587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

SWB Friendly ride details

Post by billinom8s »

Since the last friendly run in August there has been lots of hoo ha and discussion about rights, wrongs, what ifs and maybes as to what the Friendlies are/should be/should not be.

So I posted up that the 'rules' of the day would be getting a tweak or two.

Now a lot of the people on the forum now weren't on here when the format first came about and it's not really changed much since. It was initially created for the likes of my good lady to come out and join us on rideouts as she was certainly not interested in spirited days or even pacey runs. As far as she is concerned, corners are the devils work :twisted: .

The format worked, we had a couple of lost riders or confused JMs on the first couple but as a whole - it worked and it got popular. Faster, more experienced riders that could be trusted to play nice, not buzz on overtakes or scare other road users be they 2 or 4 wheeled got the armbands and enjoyed the status of helping the day go forward and represent the forum.

Where did it all go so wrong???????

We got cursed with good weather, crossing over another rideout and general brain farting on the last one but leading up to this I think the nature and idea of the ride has been forgotten.

Time for a refresh of the day and a reminder of what we try to make it all about.

Bear with me as I have been trying to work this out without taking the fun away, I have been watching the freindly discussion thread and it's funny to see how a lot of the things I've been told about that have been going on behind me on the runs have been brought to light and that people have known how to deal with them, it just hasn't happened..................yet. :)):
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
billinom8s
Site Admin

Re: SWB Friendly ride details

Post by billinom8s »

PLEASE REMEMBER, THIS IS A FRIENDLY RIDE, ALL EXPERIENCE LEVELS WELCOME, WE WERE ALL THAT NOVICE ONCE THAT WANTED TO JOIN IN WITH BETTER RIDERS.

The Lead Rider (LR) will ride at posted speed limits from the start point of the ride until the end point of the ride.

THERE WILL BE ONE BRIEFING BEFORE DEPARTURE FOR ALL RIDERS, TO GO OVER HOW THE DAY WILL BE RUN.

The Tail End Charlie (TEC) will remain the last rider in the group and wear a hi viz that has been provided by SWB.

The drop off system will be used to mark the junctions throughout the days ride, for those not familiar with this method it will be explained at the start of the day. To type it out makes it sound very complicated, it's not but here you go if you can't wait...

The rider who is behind the LR will pull over safely before the turning when indicated,
They will remain on the side of the road in clear view of traffic and following riders,
Please keep your indicator on to show which direction to take,
Do not pull across traffic to halt it's flow,
If no other riders appear after 10 minutes call the LR, let it ring twice, hang up, call again, 2 rings, hang up.
This will alert the LR there is a problem and they will pull the ride over safely and call you back.
Do not leave your place until the TEC has come through and motioned you to move on,
If there is an accident, pull over safely, call the EMERGENCY SERVICES and then call the LR.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - DO NOT LEAVE YOUR POST, SOMEONE WILL COME BACK.

Any 125cc riders will be welcome up at the front of the ride with the LR, this way they only need to junction marking if they want too but also not feel like they are going to be left behind when the gaps open up as we make progress.
If you do not wish to take part in the Junction Marking (JM) then notify the LR and you will be issued an armband, this will allow other riders to know to pass you safely so that they are not sitting behind you waiting for you to mark the next turning, additionally, if you find a rider up behind you looking like they wish to overtake you, please move to the left hand side of your lane and wave them past. Thanks.

OVERTAKING
If/when you do overtake a rider in front of you please make sure it is safe. As we are all law abiding citizens we will of course not overtake over white lines, on blind corners or summits. To do so will not only scare the poop out of people, but if you come off it really puts a downer on the day and the LR will get into questioning with old bill since the laws on rideouts and their lead riders seem to be massively geared towards them getting the blame.

Please remember, the way you overtake with your friends might be easy and smooth to you and them as they are used to it, however, if you get someone not comfortable in a group or not used to having a large bike come past them, it's very easy to get spooked, especially if they are concentrating on the bike in front and it's lines.

Please be mindful and where possible, pass on the knowledge, techniques and manners you were shown when you first started riding in larger numbers, that's how we stay alive.

DURING THE RIDEOUT
Please do not turn up, disconnect brain and engage throttle. Without meaning to sound all zen, be mindful of your surroundings and who is in them.

Make a note of the bikes around you, keep the bike behind you in your mirror,
If it disappears from your mirror, slow down until it reappears
If it still doesn't appear, pull over safely until it does
If it doesn't, call the LR (two rings as per above)
You don't need to worry about being left behind as when you slow down you will disappear from the mirror of the rider in front and so it ripples along to the LR, clever eh?
This allows the ride to stay close together.

The idea is to have a relaxed, fun, day out on some quiet roads with mates with no pressure to keep up. I know that some may find the idea of the above as pure hell, that's fine, it just means friendlies aren't for you. See you on a different ride, maybe one you have posted and planned yourself or maybe even on track.

I'm sure that there are many holes to be picked in what i have written above and by now you are formulating your response, that's also fine, that's what a forum is for. Just keep it constructive so we can work with it and get this back to being a smooth day for all riding abilities.

It's a work in progress so lets see where we go from here.

Thanks for being patient during this.
KTM 990 superduke R,
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Well done, spot on Simon
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Steve0
Learner Driver
First Name: Steve

Post by Steve0 »

Agreed... this is now we will run... 100 %
Permission to say "Cock"
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

All sounds good to me, one thing though, the newbie/ non JM arm bands, can they be a different colour to the TEC, just so there's no confusion? Might be overkill but who'd have thought we even be having this scenario a few years ago.

:D :D :D Enjoy testing the method on 25th guys !
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

badgerKDD wrote:All sounds good to me, one thing though, the newbie/ non JM arm bands, can they be a different colour to the TEC, just so there's no confusion? Might be overkill but who'd have thought we even be having this scenario a few years ago.

:D :D :D Enjoy testing the method on 25th guys !
Already taken care of, just waiting on delivery.

Besides, on the day it will be explained.
KTM 990 superduke R,
BMF
Learner Driver
First Name: Kim

Post by BMF »

Having now read the above guidelines I feel more comfortable about maybe going on a friendly, Thanks BNM8s !
Actually alcohol IS a solution
Honda CB600S Hornet
Honda CB1300SA8
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

welcome sir
KTM 990 superduke R,
Steve0
Learner Driver
First Name: Steve

Post by Steve0 »

With the next Friendly being on the 25th of the September with me leading the ride... We will run it with these rules and see how it goes... cant see any issues myself.

I will go through things with the group before we all leave...

Just enjoy it..
Permission to say "Cock"
jock
Learner Driver
First Name: jock

Post by jock »

Clearly explained and informative! :-bd
"Yay for bike life!" Suzuki GSX-R1000 K6
Sportsman01
Learner Driver
First Name: Bryan

Post by Sportsman01 »

I live in st Agnes cornwall is there any ride out imminent please?
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

How imminent?

I'm not aware of any big rides from here down your way until RTTB in June.

You can always post up a ride of your own and get that going.
KTM 990 superduke R,
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

Sportsman01 wrote: May 19th, '18, 10:20 I live in st Agnes cornwall is there any ride out imminent please?
Go to the McDonald’s at Hayle on a Thursday night it’s Bike night with loads of bikes you should find Badger there he is one of the Admins on this site and lives in Cornwall.
Nigelw6
Learner Driver
First Name: Nigel

Post by Nigelw6 »

Tuesday nights I think unless its changed recently.
menzies3032
Site Moderator

Post by menzies3032 »

Oops sorry yes I think your right