Hot summer rideout route

Look in here for local ride outs...

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
You are of course welcome along to any Southwestbikers rideout, however your bike must be in good mechanical order (we don’t want anything falling off of it including you), taxed and have a current MOT. You must have a valid motorcycle licence and current motor insurance. You are in charge of your motorcycle at all times and SWB will not accept any responsibility for actions you take or any accidents you may have. Always ride within your own capabilities and do not put others at risk. Remember, while you are on a Southwestbikers rideout you are representing the site and what it stands for.
Thank-you.

Don't forget......ANYONE can organise and run a rideout.
Types of rideouts - viewtopic.php?f=94&t=89587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Re: Hot summer rideout route

Post by TLS-Moose »

Kata wrote:Alps a bit far. Prob south france for a bit.
Errrrr ... Time to point out the obvious - the Alps are closer to Caen than the Riviera :wink:

I have Portsmouth-le Havre booked 14/6/18, and Cherbourg-Poole 18/6/17 ...... But that's in a car :shock:
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Ports ... !3e0?hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

From Caen it is quite easy to do the west coast and head down to the Aquitaine region south of Bordeaux - lovely forested area with some decent roads and awesome beaches all the way down to Biarritz, and the pretty impressive Dune du Pilat (up by the Bassin d'Arcachon) - when I was last there it was about 114m high. Good big sea if you like surfing, but it's pretty cold! Warmer swimming can be found in the big lakes like at Sanguinet.
I'd recommend giving yourself enough time to take the Nationales to get there, rather than grinding out the journey (and your money) on the Péage.
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

In 2016 we did an Alps trip. Took about 3 days to get to the Alps, mostly avoiding M'ways.
In fact..., as we used the chunnel it took most of the first day just to 1 hour in to France!

We basically rode the boarder of France & Belgium (crossing between them) until we hit Germany, and then rode through the Black Forest and on into Switzerland. Then over the Alps in Italy... and then realised it was too slow going over there so we needed to cut a whole chunk of the Furka Pass out and start heading north again.
That was on a 9 day break which was not enough time to get to Alps, play in the Alps and then ride home again whilst avoiding boring M'ways.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.