Big scooter or bike needed for my wife.

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver
First Name: aa

Big scooter or bike needed for my wife.

Post by awkwardbydesign »

Over ten years ago my wife stopped riding pillion due to a bad knee. She still has the bad knee, but would like to try again, so I am looking for something she can get on and off without too much pain. I have an SV650S which is no use at all, so something with easier access and a rear seat that doesn't stick her head up into the wind. We used to have old Guzzis, with their low pillion seat height, but more modern ones are too high.
Today I managed to drag her to GT Motorcycles, and we tried some big scooters. The Honda Silver Wing was OK for her, but huge and heavy. A Yamaha Majesty 400 was better, especially the fixed rear foot rests, rather than pivoted ones. but a 400 single engine is going to struggle two-up. And she would rather a proper bike if we can find one with a low rear seat. I saw a Triumph Scrambler yesterday with its one piece level seat, but know nothing about them.
We won't be touring anymore, just riding around Devon and Cornwall, plus hopefully taking the ferry to Santander and riding slowly along the north coast for a few days.
So does anyone have any suggestions? Not new, and if it doesn't work out something we can sell on in a year or two without losing too much money.
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Re: Big scooter or bike needed for my wife.

Post by Mervin »

North Cornwall motorcycles are selling MASH bikes now , they are retro style , but i think they are only a 400 single
Edit 28 bhp forget it
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
mike69
Learner Driver

Post by mike69 »

http://www.bransonsmotorcycles.co.uk/pa ... /19393.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver

mike69 wrote:http://www.bransonsmotorcycles.co.uk/pa ... /19393.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm certainly not going to spend £5595! Halve it and I might be interested.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-mot ... 1237004129" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-mot ... 1238748100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-mot ... 1238599281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver

billinom8s wrote:https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-mot ... 1237004129" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-mot ... 1238748100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-mot ... 1238599281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The first and third have pillion seats that are much too high. The second one might be worth checking out. But I think the tank sticks up too much for her to swing her leg over.
Thanks, and keep them coming.
Dailaughing
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Post by Dailaughing »

My old ZZ-R600 is probably the one she found easiest to get on and off of but that's not based on much other experience (Deauville and F650CS).
Learner Driver

I just looked at pictures of ZZ-R600s, and the pillion seat would be too high for her. Also she will have to climb onto the rider's seat and then slide back, as her left leg won't bend very far or take much weight. I would then clamber aboard and stand the bike up. A bike (or more probably a big scooter) that can be rocked off its centre stand after we are both aboard would be the best.
Not easy to find something I am prepared to pay for (not £5000!) and she can ride, but all suggestions are appreciated. We probably have only a couple of years more where it will be possible at all, as she is 70 and I am 68! So something I can resell without losing too much money would be ideal.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Kawasaki W650? Triumph (hinckley) Bonneville?

What about older bikes like the Kawasaki 550/750/1100 Ltd? Or the Zephyr 550/750/1100

Suzuki to the Burgman scooter in a 650? I think Yamaha do a big Majesty too?

Older BMW R80/100/1100 twins?
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

Yamaha Tmax 500 is supposed to be good. You can always get a seat remodeled​.
Could she ride a scooter herself? If 1 up a Vespa 300 would be ok.
ST4
DRZ400e
graham22
Learner Driver

Post by graham22 »

Trade the wife ... oops.

A couple of points, why the issue about being higher than the rider? From experience a passenger in their own 'air' causes a lot less turbulence compared to a passenger at level height, it's not as if you are going for GSXR/R1 difference in height plus bear in mind the types of bike you're looking at you'd be sat more upright too.

Another thought is the wife's technique in getting aboard. My mother is quite short (very short 5'0"), she gets on Dads bike, with him already on it, by using the rider footrests as these are lower, before sliding back - with you there she can hold onto you while getting on.

I'm going to contradict the height bit here as been looking for a bike with not too high a passenger seat as the missus is the same height as me, this ruled out some practical 2 up bikes: Mk1 Fazer 1000, Triumph Tiger & Sprint plus more.

Narrowed the choice down to VFR800, FZ1 Fazer & 1250 Bandit/GSX1250FA - something to note, all of these do have a main stand, so did Dai's ZZR600 and I think the ZZR1100/1200 do too if it helps 'wife getting on first' scenario.

I did get a FZ1 but already noticed some buffeting on this whereas the 'impractical' S1000R with it high & small pillion seat was buffet free!
awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver

TLS-Moose. Hinckley Triumph is a possibility. Don't like Burgmans, and the Yamaha Majesty is only a 400 single; apparently underpowered 2 up. Maybe an old BMW would work.
Ducaki. A TMax is one I am seriously considering, and no, she won't be riding herself.
graham 22. She doesn't like the higher seat, we have had bikes like that in the past. And she can't get on with me in the way, as her knee won't take her weight. Plus it would really help if she can stretch her leg forward, too many bikes make the pillion bend their legs too much.
But thanks for all the ideas, I will follow them up, if only to rule them out. And I just followed a bike through the village and had a good look at it. as the pillion was sat low. A '96 Honda Valkyrie! We started touring with a '76 Goldwing, so it would be amusing if we finished with another (kind of) 'Wing! It looked quite promising for her, and sounded nice too. But they cost £6000 and up!
Dailaughing
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Post by Dailaughing »

I agree about the height not affecting buffeting as the Deauville may have had the least height difference but had the worst buffeting for the pillion. The F650CS (almost naked) has the most height difference but she gets almost no buffeting at legal speeds. Don't look at the F650 though as my wife finds it the hardest to get on as she has to hoist herself higher with less space.

I did wonder about the custom type bike as you could pick up a Yamaha Virago fairly cheap and apart from the tank size they are lovely bikes (I'm thinking the 550). As you are sticking local (relatively) the 100m range might not be a problem as a fuel stop is often a welcome break if you are just toddling around. Presumably no centre stand but nice and low so that might be OK.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Is it one knackered knee or both?
If it's only one that won't take the weight, why not try getting on from the other side?
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

Simples

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson