Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Insurance's for track days / track bikes

Post by menzies3032 »

Ok people

Before we get to next year I will be changing my current 600 road bike that I use on track to a full on track bike.

One of the things I enjoy at the moment is insurance with MCE that offers 50% of the value of the bike as part of the road policy. However as I will be moving to a full track bike I have no intention of taxing, moting or insuring for the road.

Which leads me to ask
1) Do people insure to cover track bikes for fire or theft? I think you can get this with SORN insurance.
2) Does anybody actually pay for track day insurance? I am conscious that it is not cheap and have not bothered before
3) What about yourself? If you fall off and get hurt and can't work then what about insurance toncover the bills whilst you can't work

I am quite sure most of us just don't bother but would be very interested in views of people who have taken out different insurances what it cost and what were the benefits.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Re: Insurance's for track days / track bikes

Post by Ruffian »

Companies like Reis and others insure race bikes against theft, no point in having anything else really,

Track day inuance is proper expensive and not worth it unless it's nearly new vehicle.

For yourself there are companies like "properly protected" which will give motorsport/track day personal insurance where as if you did come off they will pay you wages for 6month's I think or similar
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

The internet is your friend, time to do some searching (or register on trackdayriders.co.uk and do a search on the subject - the question is bound to have been asked on there at some stage).

From what I've seen, it is possible to get cover for theft and possibly damage in transit, but the cover doesn't extend to the pitlane and beyond to the track. As mentioned above, it may be possible to get on-track cover but it I'll be expensive and have a horrific excess, so only worth it if you were going to ride something expensive, worth a lot more than a run-of-the-mill 600.
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
shammy666
Learner Driver

Post by shammy666 »

Properly protected do all the cover for you should the worst happen. They also do a fracture benefit policy which is quite reasonable for the cover you get.
http://www.properlyprotect.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Simon Farquhar is the main dude but lots of agents who are sometimes out and about at Trackdays.
Think they know someone who provides cover trackbike for theft/in transit, sure I've heard it mentioned in the past. Or there's these peeps https://www.moris.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for trackbike cover.
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Thanks all will get searching.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.