Moto gp,WSB,WSP,BSB,World endurance etc
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

I o M

Post by MellowYellow »

Three fatals at the TT so far.

Should it be all closed down ?
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Re: I o M

Post by Mervin »

alaways gets asked does it not , they know the dangers, let em get on with it , we will end up with a total ban on bkies altogether, we have had 2 fatals and a near fatal in North Devon in the last 10 days , last night near Bideford a biker hit a loose cow in the road at 2 am , aparetly it was reported to the police at 10 pm and nothing was done about it ,
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

If it was the only form of bike racing available then yes.. but it isn't.
Riders choose to race street circuits rather than tracks so let them get on with it.
I suspect more could be done to make it safer but nobody really wants to watch a load of bikers ride around IOM on speed limited 125's.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
graham22
Learner Driver

Post by graham22 »

MellowYellow wrote:Three fatals at the TT so far.

I'm guessing you've never been?
MellowYellow
Learner Driver

Post by MellowYellow »

graham22 wrote:I'm guessing you've never been?
Correct, and I would not want to do so. My dad went on the train in the 30's and came back with a Norton race bike.

Another fatality just been announced. Seems madness to me.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
graham22
Learner Driver

Post by graham22 »

Not a racing fatality as no racing today.

A larger number of people drowned off of the regions beaches last year, you wouldn't ban beach usage as, like the TT, see how many people get pleasure from the coast and what it contributes to the economy. Likewise deaths from driving cars, boating, hill walking, the list goes on with any activity - what wouldn't people want banned.

It will be my 10th visit to the IOM this year, whilst I don't want to see or hear of anyone getting hurt, there is something very special about the events which happen there.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Things that kill more people per year:-
Smoking
Boozing
Sex
Obesity
Guns (even here where we don't have the ridiculous "right to bear arms")
Knives
One punch
Trains
Falling down stairs
Getting on/off buses - 12 recorded deaths in 2016!
The list is endless so let's wrap everyone up in cotton wool and don't allow them to get out of bed as even this has caused more fatalities in the UK than all forms of motorbike racing.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
bkingalan
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Alan

Post by bkingalan »

Went over for practice week it's just totally different to any other racing they all know the risks or they wouldn't do it it's more for the atmosphere and mixing with most of the riders in the pits etc, already booked for next year don't think it will be ever stopped if they tried all hell would kick off .
MV 1000 brutale rs
MV 800 turismo veloce luso
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

MellowYellow wrote:Three fatals at the TT so far.

5 fatals on the M25 yesterday shall we shut that too?

2 stabbings in London, let's ban all knives as well.

It's a sport where participant death and injury are part of the draw. They all know the risk, if you watch the film TT, closer to the edge, a lot of the riders prepare their homes for not returning.

Oo, climbing Mt Everest, best we shut that to ramblers while we're at it. They even leave the bodies up there.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
MellowYellow
Learner Driver

Post by MellowYellow »

billinom8s wrote:It's a sport where participant death and injury are part of the draw. They all know the risk, if you watch the film TT, closer to the edge, a lot of the riders prepare their homes for not returning.
Yep, I'm not advocating closing it, I just really can't fathom why it's so popular.

Many F1 drivers nomin8 Monaco as their favourite track. I don't get that either.

IoM is the last place I'd want to race a bike and Monte Carlo the last place I'd want to race a car. :-s
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

I generally regard Monaco as the boring F1, and don't mind at all if I don't get to watch it. But then an F1 car is a awful lot wider than sport bike, and IOM has some very nice wide open countryside and with longish straights and small jumps...
Monaco isn't really in the same league, I don't know why they bother to hold the F1 there.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

Mellow have you ever lost a good friend to motorcycling, but you still ride?
ST4
DRZ400e
layne
Learner Driver

Post by layne »

I was a passenger in the Southern 100 in my youth. We were the leading newcomers too until a valve broke.

It was the hardest, most challenging and exhilarating meeting we did. Although I do remember thinking, “I got away with that” on the ferry on the way home.

We were going to do the TT but our outfit wasn’t eligible.

And yes I have lost friends in road and closed circuit racing. And been at meetings where other riders have lost their lives.
#152 Straights are for fast bikes. Corners are for fast riders
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

Fascination of the Isle of Man = the chance to legitimately take a full blown race bike our on country lanes , sound familiar
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Dailaughing
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Post by Dailaughing »

Never done the TT because I'm not keen on people so we did the Ulster instead. Astounding experience but no plans to do it again because we don't want to see someone die. We saw BSB a month or so before that and there was just no comparison. So I can see both sides.