Swinton bike insurance

A place where you can have a rant, vent your frustrations, blow off steam, shout off in a wrath of God style and then feel so much better about things.

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
The views expressed here are that of the individual and not the site.
angrywasp
Learner Driver

Swinton bike insurance

Post by angrywasp »

Just had an exhausting experience with swinton insurance.Dont ever go to swinton bike insurance i took out a policy on line entered all my details put down i had 1 years no claims then read onmust be in last two years!so went back through entered details again stating i had no no claims and the price did not change ,thought the cheek of it getting no discount for having a years no claimsbut carried on anyway and took out the policy.Got a letter through the post a week past the cancelation datestating they had not recieved my no claims proof .so i rang them i have not got any no claims so how can i give you any? well this policy has a years discount on it then you have made a mistake i said ,no sir you have made the mistake your new insurance will be instead of it costing £240 your policy will be £670 ! what! your having a laugh i could have had cheaper insurance from about six other places but i went with them as i could pic up the docs in shop.I said cancel my policy ah well sir if you cancel your insurance then there is a cancelation fee of £68 ok then i will cancel my direct debit.Then you will be liable for the entire policy,ok thenwhat happens if i leave it ? your insurance is null and void and it will be cancelled !which you will then have to pay a cancelation fee of £68 solet me get this right you made a mistake ihave to pay hundreds more or a fee .no mater what and you are not prepared to do anything about it.so i have canceled my insurance and will be recieving a fee through the postwhich i will put into my folder marked B.I.N and will they fook get a penny from me .i have been on line and found other policys a lot cheaper please be weary of swinton con insurance tossers avoid ..............can only imagine what it would have been like if i had to claim!!!!!! [-x ~x( :-q :)] :o)
Millen200
Learner Driver
First Name: Malcolm

Re: Swinton bike insurance

Post by Millen200 »

Had the same issue mate they are crap and they were £200 more than the one i am with now :roll:
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

Insurance, whats that?
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

MCE through the bike insurer
Running on MT
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

Unfortunately i don't think that situation is just confined to swinton, i had a situation quite similar a few years back, I wanted to cancel my wife from my car insurance part way through the year ( we had seperated) and it cost more to cancel her from the insurance than it cost fro the remainder of the year, my subsequent policy then cost more because even though she was named on my policy and had no NCD, was only in her third year of driving ( i had 9 yrs NCD) it was cheaper to have us both on my policy than just me????? That was with Marks and Spencers, but Ive had bad experiences with Hastings, Bennetts etc.

I'm currently with Swinton but only because they did me a good price on my last renewal. I always check every year though as I have no loyalty to any insurance company. Its a pain but it does pay to at least give the small print a scan, especially if they have odd rules like not counting NCD's until after 2 years. Luckily for me thats not a problem as i have 6 or7yrs on my bike and 9 plus on my car.
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
lettuceleaf
Learner Driver
First Name: Louise

Post by lettuceleaf »

badgerKDD wrote:Unfortunately i don't think that situation is just confined to swinton, i had a situation quite similar a few years back, I wanted to cancel my wife from my car insurance part way through the year ( we had seperated) and it cost more to cancel her from the insurance than it cost fro the remainder of the year, my subsequent policy then cost more because even though she was named on my policy and had no NCD, was only in her third year of driving ( i had 9 yrs NCD) it was cheaper to have us both on my policy than just me????? That was with Marks and Spencers, but Ive had bad experiences with Hastings, Bennetts etc.

I'm currently with Swinton but only because they did me a good price on my last renewal. I always check every year though as I have no loyalty to any insurance company. Its a pain but it does pay to at least give the small print a scan, especially if they have odd rules like not counting NCD's until after 2 years. Luckily for me thats not a problem as i have 6 or7yrs on my bike and 9 plus on my car.
I had swinton for my car a couple years ago, they were pretty good at the time and gave me a decent quote, one thing about the car insurance small print though was if you were TPF&T and your car was stolen ON your drive (not garaged) you would not be covered but if it was stolen OFF the drive it would, what's that about? Not sure if it was the same for bikes or even if it is the same now.
scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

goatpants wrote:MCE through the bike insurer
Good luck with that,one of the most complained about just behind Bennetts I think! :shock:
Think sams insurance went down a few quid 1st time around if she added me to the policy, but if I add her to mine it doubles :80: . Always worth messing around with an online insurance calculator because some things like mileage and bike value to a certain point makes feck all difference to the price and things like adding a spouse can make a small difference. Usually worth ringing the brokers up aswell rather than doing it through the comparison sites as they pay a percentage of each policy taken out back to the comparison site.

Insurance is one industry that needs a bloody good shake up,far too many people making money out of it and generally taking the piss.( repair centres/loan car companies/ambulance chasers etc)
angrywasp
Learner Driver

Post by angrywasp »

Did it all through compare the market and w
ent on a few sites entering details which is where i think it came unstuck because the sites hold all your information on ile i think they had the details for a previous quote.A case of computer says no !unfair they hold back till after cancelation period to tell you. [-x
scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

There was a case a couple of years back where someone took out a insurance policy but failed to mention that they had picked up another 3 points and a fine for speeding as they felt they wouldn't of been able to afford the increase in price. The following year they stayed with the same company and "forgot" to mention the points/fine again. The third year when they got a quote they mentioned they they had points/fine on licence and that it was from over 2 years ago. The insurance co ended up taken them to court to recover the extra fees it would of taken off of them had they submitted the correct info in the 1st place.
Always pays to be straight with your insurance co/broker......
angrywasp
Learner Driver

Post by angrywasp »

to end this story the bike is now insured through motorcycle direct without any no claims and its less than swinton was with 1 years no claims hope this will be ok now but think its a case of wait and see??? :|
Jolz43
Learner Driver
First Name: Jolene

Post by Jolz43 »

Oh dear, sounds like you guys have hard a rough time of it!
I called them up, used girlie charm on the fella who answered as I'd already gone throught the website but wanted to clarfiy some bits, so made sure all my questions were answered and when he said "did I want to go with that"? I said that I'd think about it.... Didn't want to pay the extra tenner for his help and got my cash back too \:D/ So far so good....