Dear oh dear

A place where you can have a rant, vent your frustrations, blow off steam, shout off in a wrath of God style and then feel so much better about things.

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
The views expressed here are that of the individual and not the site.
ned flanders
Learner Driver
First Name: Ian

Dear oh dear

Post by ned flanders »

After doing llandow, I decided to make some adjustments to my FZR1000 :)):
Its now a dedicated track bike, so ive taken all the lights off, and basically anything that doesnt need to be on there has gone.
Then I thought I would put race fairings on, instead of having tape over the headlight holes :oops: , and the gap in the tail section :oops: . Good idea, apart from they are as are as hens teeth, or expensive. So, to get around this, Ive fiberglassed the original fairing, so I can keep the colour scheme, and save on costs. It now looks passable if not spectacular. :erm:
Course I'm on a roll now, so thought next job :)): . Replace front fork seals as one has started to leak. Stripped the forks down, went to put the new seals in, and without the tool to ram them in, bust two new seals £9 trying :( . In the end, sean took em to the garage to get done. :shock: :roll:
Not content to stop there though, I had ordered 2 new sprockets \m/ . -1 front, and +1 rear. Simple to take old ones off and put news ones yeh. Nope :-q . Retaining nut on the front sprocket is a bitch to get off. Deffo needs an impact socket. Ended up making sure bikes in neutral, then giving it a crack with a bolster and lump hammer :ympray: . Got a brand new nut for £4 so job done :ymapplause: . Nope. ~x( Put new sprockets on, but chain too tight. Went to adjust the chain tension bolts and blocks, and saw that they were as far forward as pos with 110 links on. So now need to take sprockets off again and the chain and add a couple links on. Not great, but not a disaster (YET) :-w . Chain and sprockets off, i decide to unscrew the chain adjusters to a more central position for adjustment. Right one no problem. Left one, feels a bit tight, as in it wont flipping budge :( . Anyway, give a squirt with lube, and leave overnight, to loosen in the morning. Next morning , went to loosen as planned, and it went easilly. Clean in half ~x( . Thought oh, thats not good. Will have to get a new bolt, and try to drift the bolt stuck in the thread out :-B . Well not a chance. It was just not for moving :-s . Thought , right thats it, youve been beat again, so get a mechanic in :)] . Phoned Elliot up, and luckilly , he was on his way past from plymouth so he came to remove the bolt. #:-s He heated the swingarm, drilled a hole in the bolt and inserted the tool for withdrawing the bolt. Got it. Nope ~x( , the little git wouldnt budge. Turns out, it has welded itself to the thread in the swingarm :-q . Then i'm back to options time.1) Cut the rear of the swingarm off, and re-weld. Very expensive and time scale is Rubbish. 2) Weld 2 aluminium blocks to the swingarm, and put a thread through them to put the bolts through. 3) Get a new swingarm. So as it turned out, i managed to get a new swingarm. All this, just to put new sprockets on. :-?
So as it turns out now, my bike has no forks, no chain, no swingarm, no sprockets on. Oh, and i'm supposed to be going to Llandow in 7 days time. x_x :ymdaydream:
What started off as a good idea \m/ , has now turned into a nightmare. ~x(
I am going greyer by the day. X(
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Dear oh dear

Post by billinom8s »

ahh, the joys of the trackday bug.

i had to throw my bike under a lorry to get a dedicated track toy. worked though ssssshhhhhhh ;) :-$ :-$
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
gazaR1
Learner Driver

Post by gazaR1 »

sounds like a normal sunday in my shed, :)) :)) :))
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

Thought oh, thats not good

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) That is definitely not what I would have said
Running on MT
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

it's when you utter the words to yourself - what if i try this ?????? #-o
KTM 990 superduke R,
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Post by Smiler »

Ian!!!! What a nightmare mate!! :shock:

[grey is supposed to look sophisticated on fellas :wink: ]

Hope you get sorted in time :ympray:
If I have to explain, you'll NEVER understand
gazaR1
Learner Driver

Post by gazaR1 »

Smiler wrote:Ian!!!! What a nightmare mate!! :shock:

[grey is supposed to look sophisticated on fellas :wink: ]

Hope you get sorted in time :ympray:
is that the fifty shades of. :80:
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Post by Smiler »

I really dont know what you're on about Gaz... :erm: :ymblushing: :))
ned flanders
Learner Driver

Post by ned flanders »

Well, sean dropped my forks back off tonight. :ymapplause:

Fixed, and ready to put back on. However, dont i feel a plonker. :roll:

The reason I couldnt get the new seal in, was because I pulled the old one out ( the rubber and the spring bit), but they came away from the metal strip that is part of the seal, and fits snug , still in there. I thought it was part of the fork and the new seal popped over it, then the clip sat on it. Oooops :oops:
Mechanic said he was not suprised i busted 2 new seals, and I would never have got the seals in. [-x
Its not just track days I'm a novice at, but fixing my bike, ans you live and learn as they say, and I will know for next time. 8-}
Its just one of them plonker things ya godda own up to x_x :ymtongue:
Smiler
Rideout Ringleader

Post by Smiler »

The thing is Ian...at least you had a go at doing it! There's plenty of peeps dont do so much as adjusting the chain on their bikes, let alone attempting the stuff you have.... :ymhug:
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Smiler wrote:The thing is Ian...at least you had a go at doing it! There's plenty of peeps dont do so much as adjusting the chain on their bikes, let alone attempting the stuff you have.... :ymhug:
WHAT SHE SAID

there are lots that know where the key goes and the fuel goes - fair play for following your new found bug :)):

if you get to a head scratcher then don't forget to ask on here. post up a pic or two and say whats what. tons on here willing to help.
KTM 990 superduke R,
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Smiler wrote:The thing is Ian...at least you had a go at doing it! There's plenty of peeps dont do so much as adjusting the chain on their bikes, let alone attempting the stuff you have.... :ymhug:
KTM 990 superduke R,
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

Sorry ned wasn't laughing at you, I have a tendency to curse when things don't go to plan. I feel your pain, there were cups flying when trying to get my old footpeg off last weekend :))
Running on MT
ned flanders
Learner Driver

Post by ned flanders »

Cheers guys and dolls. Will deffo ask for help.
Hahahaha No worries Goat. I'm always taking the pee out of of peeps, so I cant complain now , can I lol.
And to be honest, what i did deserves laughing at. Sean hasnt stopped. :D

Anyway,I'm in the process of deciding to do either Mallory (novice day) , Silverstone or Donnington next month. Tina booking it with sean for my birthday :shock: :D

Even more pressure now to get the bike sorted :-ss
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

goatpants wrote:Sorry ned wasn't laughing at you, I have a tendency to curse when things don't go to plan. I feel your pain, there were cups flying when trying to get my old footpeg off last weekend :))
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

I have been