second hand bike

A place where you can have a rant, vent your frustrations, blow off steam, shout off in a wrath of God style and then feel so much better about things.

Moderator: Staff

Forum rules
The views expressed here are that of the individual and not the site.
trevsam1
Learner Driver
First Name: trevor

second hand bike

Post by trevsam1 »

i just bought bike form harley plymouth,, it was second hand bike, but it was not road worthy, even though the add said on the road and ready to go??? then i ask them to sort out bike, but after they got money .. all they said was no chance.. trade sale and on reciept it clearly says retail??? they will not put the bike right,, what a joke..
you dont expect to ride off on a bike that states exallent condition, on the road and ready to go, then you get stopped by police and are told the front tyre is illegal,, then being told you will get 3 points and £60 fine, is the last thing you want to hear,, but you return to HARLEY of PLYMOUTH,, and the jokers up there say trade sale, we are not doing anything about the tyre,, makes them look like the worst dealership i have ever dealt with, been buying and riding bikes for 25 years now,, never had treatment like it,, so i,m going to sue them in small claims court now,,
cant believe a dealer of such high standards could act so bad and all this for a bit of rubber that would of cost them well less then £100.. so if you are thinking of buying a bike harley or one from PLYMOUTH HARLEY then think again,, or you will regret it..happy biking ?? trev, of plymouth,,
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Re: second hand bike

Post by TLS-Moose »

Speak to Plymouth Trading Standards and see if they will help.....
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

Nothing personal mate but i would have looked a summat as basic as the tyres before parting with dosh, A basic check before going on the road with any vehicle would consist of looking at the tyres, and at the end of the day you where riding it so you are responsible forthe condition of the vehicle, having said that the y should not sell it as roadworthy if it has a bald tyre, I was buying a car once and the spare was barely legal the salesman thought he had a sale and was looking very happy , i said one thing it needs a new spare, oh no it does not he said, yes it does says i heading for the showroom door, 5 minutes later the salesman is heading across the road to the tyre bay
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
goatpants
Learner Driver
First Name: Chris

Post by goatpants »

Surely they have "a duty of care" They should not let you ride the bike with it being illegal :shock:
Running on MT
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

The Duty of Care only relates to the salesman 'caring ' whether he's got your money or not ;) .

To be honest its bloody difficult knowing whether tyres are legal or not these days, with all the different tread patterns at different parts of the tyre, different compounds in the same tyre and wear markers in odd places showing no relation to the tyre profile/ tread pattern. :-\
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
Clancy
Learner Driver
First Name: Leigh

Post by Clancy »

goatpants wrote:Surely they have "a duty of care" They should not let you ride the bike with it being illegal :shock:
It is illegal to sell a non road worthy vehicle unless you state that it isn't. So if they stated it is ready to go, then yes they should change the tyre. Could also be looked at as misrepresentation of the vehicle, which as this is a dealership means they would definitely lose in court and have to pay to correct the bike

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... a-problem/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All stated there in the second part about buying from a dealer
Funky
Learner Driver
First Name: Aaron

Post by Funky »

1 post and it is a rant? :-bd
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

ONLY post ...... :))
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Elapid
Learner Driver
First Name: Colin

Post by Elapid »

Take it to court and you could be able to avoid the points. You will be found guilty but they can use "special reasons" to not give you the points. I did it with no insurance by proving in court Bennets lied about my cover on the phone.

Then sue for the amount of the fine and costs plus your lost time and compensation.
scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

Wrong thread? Bit weird because I posted something in this thread and its not here :)):
scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

The OP must of been satisfied with getting it off his chest :)): If you go through the intros section there's loads of people that briefly say hello never to be seen again. Where do they all go? What happened to DAN 90210? He used to be on here lots? (Was just thinking about who was at last years BBQ/rideout)
Must be Bnom8's scaring them off with his wit and sarcasm ;) :shock:
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

I don't have any
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
driverbrook
Learner Driver
First Name: arnie

Post by driverbrook »

Bought my yamaha XVS Midnight Star from Fowlers in Bristol last Sep, both tyres looked legal to me but Fowlers went ahead and put new rubber on for me and all i did was mention they looked a little worn, now thats service for you!