high speed wobble

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
ticker59
Learner Driver
First Name: keith

high speed wobble

Post by ticker59 »

Can anyone help, I have a 1400 moto-guzzi california that I absolutely love with the exception of that at speeds in excess of 95 mph the front wheel starts to weave getting worse as the speed increases above that. I have done the obvious, wheel balanced and tyre pressures, what else should I be checking? At slower speeds it behaves perfectly.
scorcher
Learner Driver

Re: high speed wobble

Post by scorcher »

Suspension set up? Brand of tyres? Panniers fitted? Type of screen (if) fitted? Common trait, so TADTS?
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Steering head loose?
Rear wheel out me balance?
Rear tyre worn uneven?
Low front tyre pressure?
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Do you have the factory (fork mounted) screen fitted? If you do, thats possibly the start of your issues ....... If you don't have the screen fitted, try relaxing your grip on the bars a bit. Quite often with naked bikes the main cause of instability is the rider. Any loads placed on the front end of the bike have a profound effect on stability, and a fork mounted screen, or a rider (out in the wind being buffeted) gripping the bars tightly will set up a weave quite nicely .......

As said, tyre pressures and wear, wheel/swingarm/head bearings should also all be checked.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

Wel I've no bloody idea apart from Don't drive over the speed limit! Simples =))
ticker59
Learner Driver

Post by ticker59 »

Thanks everyone, I do have the factory windshield, panniers and topbox fitted so will unbolt them and try running it naked, if that doesn't sort it then it will be checking the swingarm and headstock bearings. However, I don't suspect these as these were checked less than 500 miles ago. Already checked tyres for wear and pressures and had them balanced, maybe i have lost a balance weight. Once again thanks for the advice.
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

Are either of the tyres worn? Sometimes a front that looks "part worn" is bad enough to lose the fresh tyre high speed stability.
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

As I don't know the model can I ask is it Chain drive or Shaft? If chain drive, check the sprocket carrier bearing as well as the rear wheel bearings and check for wear on the Cush Drive rubbers. Often problems at the rear will affect front end stability.
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
podrick
Learner Driver

Post by podrick »

I would of thought the top box is the most likely culprit.
Try removing that first
Gimlet
Learner Driver
First Name: Jim

Post by Gimlet »

Is it running the standard tyres? When I bought my KTM it was fitted with Racetecs which were very twitchy unless really warm. I changed them straight away for some Metzeler Z8s thinking they would suit a long trip I was planning. I struggled with the handling. There was little feedback, a harsh ride and the front end was unstable at speed, always threatening a tank slapper. Because I didn't know the bike well I tried everything before I came back to the tyres. Removing the handguards helped but not much. I changed the screen. I spent hours fine tuning the suspension to try and dial out the wobble. I played with tyre pressures.
Then someone on the KTM forum said you've got the wrong tyres mate. Try Dunlops. So I did. The front end was immediately calmed and the bike was transformed.
There was nothing physically wrong with the Metzelers, they just didn't suit that bike. No matter what type of bike it is, its amazing what strange evils can be caused by the wrong tyre choice.

If you are running stock tyres and suspension settings, I would suspect headstock and/or swinging arm bearings.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
KTM 1190 Adventure
ticker59
Learner Driver

Post by ticker59 »

Thanks everyone for all the possible things to look at, went to NEC and spoke to Guzzi rep and have been advised it is probably the screen or the replacement tyres so i will go down these avenues using the occasional odd dry day to try and sort it as high speed, wobbly front end and rain are not my idea of fun.
P.S. (santasonabike) Great ride out Sat 5th Dec
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

At least you have multiple directions to take with looking for a solution.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.