length of chain to go for

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
green_hodgeheg
Learner Driver
First Name: pauline

length of chain to go for

Post by green_hodgeheg »

Ok here is a stupid question. I am looking online for a padlock and chain for my soon to arrive z650. I want one that I can out through the back wheel and over the seat when I am parked. I can't remember how long the old one was - is 120 cm likely to be long enough or should I go a bit longer ?
There - told you it was a silly one. :oops:
Gimlet
Learner Driver
First Name: Jim

Re: length of chain to go for

Post by Gimlet »

Will it take a disc lock? Better than a chain, especially if its alarmed and its small enough to carry on the bike.
If its got solid discs it may not be suitable. It won't have floating discs so there won't be a carrier as such but if the inner part of the disc where it is attached to the wheel hub is skeletal or slotted you may be able to get a disc lock to fit.

If its got to be a chain you'd need to measure a similar twin shock bike. 1200 mm sounds about right but that's a hell of a lump of chain and a decent one won't be cheap.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
KTM 1190 Adventure
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Why not pass a piece of string the length of run you want the chain to go and then measure that?
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Rather than a chain, do they still make the Abus Granit U-locks?

I used to have one, and on several big 4-cyl ujm's it would fit around the intake rubbers between cylinder head and carbs for carrying.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
green_hodgeheg
Learner Driver

Post by green_hodgeheg »

Thanks for the tips :-) I can't measure up as the bike is not here yet :-0 I like a chain as I can attach the bike to something solid if needs be but the U lock is definitely worth consideration too. Disc is solid so can't get disc lock in advance....
I think I'll get a medium priced chain and see how it goes, just want to be able to go out and park it when it gets here :-)
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

what age Zed 650 . i got a 1980 one , can measure up tomorrow if you want
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
green_hodgeheg
Learner Driver

Post by green_hodgeheg »

Thanks Merv ! Its a B, 1989 pretty much original :-)
That would be a big help :-))
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

2m chain length
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

That'll weigh a ton.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

green_hodgeheg wrote: I am looking online for a padlock and chain for my soon to arrive z650. I want one that I can put through the back wheel and over the seat when I am parked.
Where you parking?. In the last 8 years/ 80000 miles I've only ever chained my bike up once and that was overnight and away from home. Even managed to leave the key in the ignition a few times whilst off wandering, and if no-one don't want to pinch a very high quality motorcycle like a KTM , I can't see them wanting to pinch an old Z650 ;)
green_hodgeheg
Learner Driver

Post by green_hodgeheg »

I have always locked my bikes and I have had somebody try to drag one off (they gave up !) with the lock still in place. I know it may not be a many thousand pounds worth of rice rocket bike but it will be special to me and I have had to wait a long time to get a bike again !

It turned into a bit of a night with the bike that was dragged along the street. I had parked up for an overnight stop and gone to the pub. Found the bike when I got back and just as I was about to pick it up the police came along. Managed in the end to convince them I hadn't been riding it - look office the engine is stone cold for a start ! Got them to pick it up for me bless them....
Mervin
SWB Subscriber

Post by Mervin »

green_hodgeheg wrote:Thanks Merv ! Its a B, 1989 pretty much original :-)
That would be a big help :-))
1989 ?? 1979 for a z650B i reckon , mine is a z650 c 1980
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
green_hodgeheg
Learner Driver

Post by green_hodgeheg »

Sorry ! Having a senior moment there :oops: of course I meant to type 1979 my head is all over the place what with sorting out insurance tidying up its little home and of the course the all important tool kit audit....
Mervin
SWB Subscriber

Post by Mervin »

I will find the Zed in a while at the back of the shed under the covers and measure up for ya
Hunter S Thompson
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

Saw a Triumph Bonnie scrambler yesterday that had a cable lock that went through the wheel and over the seat. Arbus I think. Twin shock bike, probably similar size to the Z. Not quite sure how the rider was carrying it when riding or how long it was - don't generally carry a tape measure around in my pocket; but a cable would be a lot lighter than a chain, as secure if not more so and probably cheaper as well.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure