1980 Moto Guzzi V50 Starter Motor

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
Rob4
Learner Driver
First Name: Rob

1980 Moto Guzzi V50 Starter Motor

Post by Rob4 »

Evening,

I own a '80 guzzi V50 and I'm having some problems with the starter motor. I've taken it off of the bike and had a look at it, but as far as my knowledge goes with starter motors I'm not too sure what's wrong with it. If anyone knows about guzzi's in general, or more specifically their starter motors I'd be extremely grateful for any advice on them.

Cheers, Rob
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Re: 1980 Moto Guzzi V50 Starter Motor

Post by Robbo87 »

I'm no Guzzi expert Rob, but most starter motors work in the same way so - first give it a good clean and a general once over. Then check the starter pinion spins freely and that the armature bearings are in good condition - some starter systems need the cog to move lateraly on the pinion once the starter is activated so if that's the case check that it does so freely. Check that the pinion cog is undamaged. Then check that the electrical contacts are clean and corrosion free. Next, check the condition of the armature and the armature brushes, they may be visible through the starter motor casing, usually at the contact end.The brushes should have plenty of meat left on them, if not then that could be the problem. Next, connect directly to a fully charged 12 volt battery. The starter should spin up immediately and freely. If so, then it's a good chance that your starter problems lie elswhere; possibly the starter solonoid.
When I needed new armature bushes last year, the starter motor on my Aprilia was easily dismantled; this may well be the same for your Guzzi.
Good luck with curing the problem.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Hey Rob,
What's the actual fault?
As the starter motor usually only has 1 or 2 wires,
(Usually 12v feed controlled by a relay or 12v constant with a trigger wire)
There is very little to go wrong with them,
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Rob4
Learner Driver

Post by Rob4 »

I will get the starter motor taken off and have a good look at it with your advice.
From what I can understand from it and from what I have read is potentially that the solenoid is what could be the problem. There is a distinctive single click when I turn the key in the ignition, which I have read to be linked to a solenoid problem. Apart from the click nothing really happens. I can bump start the bike fine and took it for a ride when I got it going for half an hour, but when I got back I turned the bike off then tried to start it up again but just got the click again. I'll have a look into it and try to work out where the problem really is.
Thanks for the advice, its much appreciated
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

I would check voltages before going too far,
That way can figure out if it is the starter or electrical problem,

It's not a red cafe racer guzzi is it??
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Rob4
Learner Driver

Post by Rob4 »

I'll check out the voltage after work.

It sure is the red cafe racer
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Single click sounds like dead battery
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

Rob4, unless you've already removed it, leave the starter in place for now and get back to basics. First make sure the battery is good, very good, it should show well over 12 volts; it's essential on big V-twins that you have good cranking power. Then get the engine running and check the charging voltage with a multi-meter, you should see at least 14 volts (preferably 14.3v or even a tad more) from just over tickover to around 3.500 rpm. While you've got it running check the voltage again with all lights and any other electrics on e.g. brake light, flashers, running lights etc. There shouldn't be much of a voltage drop off, maybe 0.4v max.
If all above is good, the two main suspects are the connection(s) to the starter motor and the starter solonoid, start with them. Remove 'em give 'em a good clean and re-assemble 'em. If the solonoid is an original there's a fair chance it's reached the end of it's days, there's plenty of uprated ones out there for not much money, check out the various Guzzi forums for suitable replacements - here's the biggest UK club site: http://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; While you're in electrical connections mode, make sure you check and clean all the connectors that look like they may have something to do with the starter and charging system; the wiring between the generator and voltage regulator/rectifier for instance. Don't forget the often overlooked kill switch either.
Basicaly, check the obvious first and then work methodicaly through the system if neccessary. A wiring diagram may help too.
Again, good luck.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Rob4
Learner Driver

Post by Rob4 »

Starter solenoid replaced along with a new battery and it's starting perfectly. Thanks for all the advice & help!