paddock stand

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
cattestpilot
Learner Driver
First Name: david

paddock stand

Post by cattestpilot »

i have bought a new thruxtonR and had bobbins fiited to the back wheel so i could use a paddock stand.

but I had not given much thought to how i would get the bike on the stand by myself.

can someone advise me on the following;

which stand would be best
how do i get it on the stand by mysef without it falling over

by the way i am 73 yrs old :-\

dave
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: paddock stand

Post by billinom8s »

Depending on what type of stand you use will determine how you get the bike up onto it.

It may be worth putting a shout out for some of your fellow pixies to pop over (a bribe of tea and biscuits may tempt them out as they age timid folk.) And show you what to do.

Failing that, youtube seems to be a good source of visual how to's.

It will take you a couple of goes to become confident in it though.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
cattestpilot
Learner Driver

Post by cattestpilot »

many thanks, i will have a look on utube first

dave :D
Gimlet
Learner Driver
First Name: Jim

Post by Gimlet »

I prefer Abba Superbike stands with the front wheel lift bar for garage use on my own. Takes a few seconds longer than paddocks but you can get both wheels off the ground with one stand, its totally secure, leaves the swinging arm/rear spindle area and front forks/headstock unencumbered and with the correct adaptor one stand will fit any bike.

http://abbastands.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
KTM 1190 Adventure
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

Gimlet wrote:I prefer Abba Superbike stands with the front wheel lift bar for garage use on my own. Takes a few seconds longer than paddocks but you can get both wheels off the ground with one stand, its totally secure, leaves the swinging arm/rear spindle area and front forks/headstock unencumbered and with the correct adaptor one stand will fit any bike.

http://abbastands.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Jim, could the Abba model you have fit onto my 54cm wide lift bench? Might be a handy thing to have, save all that stripping off of plastic to get both wheels out at the same time.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
scorcher
Learner Driver

Post by scorcher »

Robbo87 wrote:
Gimlet wrote:I prefer Abba Superbike stands with the front wheel lift bar for garage use on my own. Takes a few seconds longer than paddocks but you can get both wheels off the ground with one stand, its totally secure, leaves the swinging arm/rear spindle area and front forks/headstock unencumbered and with the correct adaptor one stand will fit any bike.

http://abbastands.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Jim, could the Abba model you have fit onto my 54cm wide lift bench? Might be a handy thing to have, save all that stripping off of plastic to get both wheels out at the same time.
That would depend on the width of your bike, as the fixings slide along the bottom rail. As you pull the stand over to take the weight off the bike, the feet at the bottom would need to land on your bench.
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

Yes, I see what you mean Mr S, thanks for the pic', makes it easier to picture (ha!). It would be even better if I could work out what the distance between the two bottom feet were, any figures? I expect I'm being Mr Dim again!

I AM Mr Dim! Just spotted that the bottom rail needs to slide to accomodate bike width, doh!
Having seen the light, I can now get a rough idea of bottom leg width by calculating roughly how far the two uprights will be from the swingarm pivot and take it from there. Not exact science, but I subscribe to fact that the art of bodge rarely fails = there's always a way around 'stuff'.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

Robbo87 wrote:

http://abbastands.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
650 mm is the full width of the stand, the widest fit of my bikes is the 1290 KTM which is about 600 but the other two are within an inch of that so you could say 600 mm for most bikes. Depends of the length of the adaptor pieces as well. They vary.
You could always bolt a piece of 1/4" chequer plate across the centre of the platform to widen it when the stand is being used.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

Gimlet wrote:
Robbo87 wrote:

http://abbastands.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
650 mm is the full width of the stand, the widest fit of my bikes is the 1290 KTM which is about 600 but the other two are within an inch of that so you could say 600 mm for most bikes. Depends of the length of the adaptor pieces as well. They vary.
You could always bolt a piece of 1/4" chequer plate across the centre of the platform to widen it when the stand is being used.
Thanks for the numbers Jim, saves guesswork on my part.
I've already got a piece of checker plate prepared with holes drilled ready to put on the lift bench in case I had a Hardly Ableson or other bike with a long sidestand in. Time to start saving the sheckels then.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

I have a coouple of lumps of wood plus 2 x old car jacks...and a lot of faith.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

Robbo87 wrote: Jim, could the Abba model you have fit onto my 54cm wide lift bench? Might be a handy thing to have, save all that stripping off of plastic to get both wheels out at the same time.
Actually I lied. The spigots may be 600-650 apart but you need to take account of the foot the stand rests on. So really the minimum width required is 700 mm. And then the foot will be right on the edge of the ramp. Widening plate required I would think.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

Gimlet wrote:
Robbo87 wrote: Jim, could the Abba model you have fit onto my 54cm wide lift bench? Might be a handy thing to have, save all that stripping off of plastic to get both wheels out at the same time.
Actually I lied. The spigots may be 600-650 apart but you need to take account of the foot the stand rests on. So really the minimum width required is 700 mm. And then the foot will be right on the edge of the ramp. Widening plate required I would think.
Right, out with the tape measure again! Cheers.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Gimlet
Learner Driver

Post by Gimlet »

As chance would have it, as I read that post I just so happen to have a tape measure about my person and the SMT is on the stand outside the door. As fitted to that bike, the maximum width from outside of foot to outside of foot is 720 mm.
KTM 1290 SuperDuke
KTM 1190 Adventure
cattestpilot
Learner Driver

Post by cattestpilot »

http://abbastands.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
many thanks, abba stands looks the best,

I need to speak to them on monday as they may not fit the thruxton, their web site does not include the bike.

dave
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

Gimlet wrote:As chance would have it, as I read that post I just so happen to have a tape measure about my person and the SMT is on the stand outside the door. As fitted to that bike, the maximum width from outside of foot to outside of foot is 720 mm.
Thank you Mr Supermeasure, 720 mm it now is.
However, as I only have a single garage which already houses a CBR 600, a DT 175 and the (in)famous Fut, and these lifts are getting wider every day, I now await the next missive from the Gimlet with some trepadition :-ss Will I have to instruct my man to add an east wing before next Wednesday I ask? :80:
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.