Question about taking my test

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
Stgeorge
Learner Driver
First Name: Rich

Question about taking my test

Post by Stgeorge »

So I've been riding on a CBT for about 10 years, renewing every couple of years when it expires. Back in 2009 I did the DAS and took my full bike test on the VERY LAST DAY before they changed it and introduced the thing about doing certain manoeuvres on the test-centre circuit. I failed because I put my foot down whilst doing the ridden U-turn. :oops: X( Because of the test changes I couldn't just rebook and take the same test again the following week and couldn't afford (or have the time) to do the whole week-long DAS again.

I am hoping this year to take the test again. My question is - will I have to do the full 5-day DAS again? As an experienced rider (with a year left on my current CBT) is there an option to do a short-course and test? Will it depend on the testing centre?

And whilst we're on the topic would anyone like to recommend any particular training centre? I'm in Tiverton so would probably prefer one in Exeter or Taunton over one in Truro!

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Rick.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Re: Question about taking my test

Post by Ruffian »

It depends on the training school as it's there recommendation at how long they think you will take to train to take your test.

Unfortunately though ido you have been riding a prolonged time you may have picked up some bad habits along the way and will need them training out of you.

I know a few people have gone to "ace rider training" which are on Heathfield newton Abbot but this was 5years ago.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Speak to Deej, he is an instructor.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Glennyb
Learner Driver
First Name: Glen

Post by Glennyb »

Hi,

I went with Ace Rider in Heathfield Newton About 1 year ago, not sure if that is too far for you. I had been riding my 125 for 3yrs and they put me on a 4 day course, we did spend a whole morning on the MOD 1 test area in Marsh Barton which I found useful, but maybe most places do this?

As much as I could ride, the 4 days for me were good so I could get used to the bigger bikes.

Cheers

Glen
deej
Learner Driver
First Name: Dave

Post by deej »

Morning

You would have to take both tests, Mod 1 and 2 as well as pass the motorcycle theory test again.

The training time would depend on the school you use but as Glennyb said the 4 days are very beneficial as although you may be experienced on a 125 you aren't on a big bike. It's also a false economy to try and cut corners when training especially as you've already failed one test previously and things have changed in those 8 years. The potential retest fee's would probably outweigh the cost of the extra training before the first test.

You may find that some schools might entertain a short course for you but it's not something I would consider unless it's a A2 licence holder that did their training with us and is going onto progressive access.
http://www.averysmotorcycles.co.uk use code SWB10 for discount
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Short cuts on biking tend to lead to casualty.

The only way to stay alive is to know that you never know everything.
Training
Training
Training

Like Deej said, you may be cake to whip a 125 around like a push bike but when it comes to physically handling a 600/750/1000 you have none - yet.

Take the time, the assessers at the school will know if you will need 5,4 or 3 days.

Remember - they teach you to pass the test, once you have done that part the real learning begins. Riding a bigger bike on the road is a never ending learning curve.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
The Muppet
Learner Driver
First Name: Mandy

Post by The Muppet »

I did my Training at triumph Training in Marsh Barton there are very Good and would answer your Questions with out having to use them .triumphtraining.co.uk check out there web site
Gas head
Learner Driver
First Name: Andy

Post by Gas head »

Did mine last November with MTS at west point Exeter. Would highly recommend.
utg