Thoughts and feedback on MV Brutale?

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
Instinct
Learner Driver
First Name: Ross

Thoughts and feedback on MV Brutale?

Post by Instinct »

Just looking for some thoughts/ feedback/ experience of the MV Brutale 910 or other models?

It's on the more exotic end of my shortlist for the next bike and I've no intention of making it a commuter, it's all about the fun, so I understand the impracticality etc. of the brand but wondered what your feelings were?

Many thanks in advance.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Re: Thoughts and feedback on MV Brutale?

Post by Jug »

Sweet looking bikes but get a bit of bashing on the MCN review section.

I considered one for a few moments before buying my SD. I was after a grunt machine and these are rev rockets it seems.
This is the model that I read up about - see the owners review.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-revi ... 989r/2008/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Instinct
Learner Driver

Post by Instinct »

Thank you for that.... yes they get a mixed review overall but my feeling is that you don't by an MV for practical reasons!

I'm 188cm though so taking one out this Saturday to see how I get on with it as it might be too small!

I'll be taking out a Speed Triple and an MT-09 as well over the next week so we shall see.
bkingalan
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Alan

Post by bkingalan »

I saw 1 on a ride out in Wales last year, it was the model with red spoked wheels & was loaded with red anodised goodies looked as sexy as hell
Did think about going to look a 1 when I was looking at SD & went with that instead .
MV 1000 brutale rs
MV 800 turismo veloce luso
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

Layne would be the person to ask about MV ownership. Having not owned one myself I can only really what I've read about them:
  • abysmal spares prices and availability
    Dealers are scarce
    Uncomfortable seats and poor steering lock
    Fuelling is pretty horrible, needs properly re-mapping
See how you feel after a test ride. If you want something that stands out from the crowd, how about a SuperDuke? I have two of them (both 990s) and love them. Sure, they may not be the most practical of bikes, and they have their own, shall we say, idiosyncrasies, but they aren't Italian so nothing tends to stop working or fall off them. I can't see myself buying another Japanese bike any time really.

Let us know your thoughts following your test ride.
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

I saw one, briefly as the prick riding it tried to get inbetween me and a rumble strip at Portimao.
Turns out the r1 combined with my weight was too much and the Bike went down with the American onboard. It was a bit flat after that.

That's my only experience with one.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

If I wanted a MV...
PCP yes, to own outright no.
ST4
DRZ400e
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

If you buy a Ferrari, would you expect parts prices and availability to be on a par with a Ford Fiesta?
Dealers are, sadly, few and far between but SP in Exeter have lots of experience with them and Moto Corsa near Shaftesbury have a good reputation.
Parts availability seems pretty good online, though I haven't had to worry.
Reliability, generally, is a step up from the average Italian bike on the 4cyl bikes.
The one with spoked wheels is a "Dragster" not a Brutale, and has the 3cyl 800cc motor.
Buy one and you'll have a relatively unique machine that rewards being ridden. You'll also be joining a far rarer club than most other Italian marques, let alone others ...... ("Stand out" on an SD? Please ....... They're as common as a BMW GS! Do a straw poll of how many are on this site - I can think of 7 or 8 off the top of my head. My TL is rarer!)
Go ride it with an open mind. If you do thousands of miles per year, then you may be better looking elsewhere, but if you're a sunny Sunday rider for a couple of thousand per year, you might just find it a rewarding experience.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Post by jer r1 »

You stand out when it rains, the f@#$&$s won't go. :80: (only joking moosey baby :ymhug:
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
TLS-Moose
Site Admin

Post by TLS-Moose »

jer r1 wrote:You stand out when it rains, the f@#$&$s won't go. :80: (only joking moosey baby :ymhug:
In fairness, when we went to France a few years ago, the only bike that got arsey in the rain was an R1 .... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

TLS-Moose wrote:("Stand out" on an SD? Please ....... They're as common as a BMW GS! Do a straw poll of how many are on this site - I can think of 7 or 8 off the top of my head. My TL is rarer!)
Common as muck them!
I was down at West bay last Saturday afternoon and there was a red TL there.

Admittedly there was also an SD1290 (parked) but the SD1290 is a mainstream bike.. it's 990 that's special, even though it appears all of them in UK are concentrated in the SW and on this forum... honest gov!
They're not anywhere else... just 8 in the country and they're all here.. :)):
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Post by jer r1 »

TLS-Moose wrote:
jer r1 wrote:You stand out when it rains, the f@#$&$s won't go. :80: (only joking moosey baby :ymhug:
In fairness, when we went to France a few years ago, the only bike that got arsey in the rain was an R1 .... :wink: :lol: :lol:
They don't like going that slow. :D
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
TLS-Moose
Site Admin

Post by TLS-Moose »

jer r1 wrote:
TLS-Moose wrote:
They don't like going that slow. :D
:)) :))

Instinct
Learner Driver

Post by Instinct »

Thank you for the thoughts above - I made the most of the weather on Saturday and got out and about on a couple of different bikes.

Some far more fun than others! But the MV is still there at the top of my list, coincidently right next to a Speed Triple, so a couple more to get out on once the weather changes back to summer again and I'll make my decision.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

TLS-Moose wrote:

Get it right, it was the ferry crossing it didn't like.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.