Help me choose a new (used) bike for my mate please?

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
pieeater
First Name: Paul

Re: Help me choose a new (used) bike for my mate please?

Post by pieeater »

Scotty wrote:And if he exercises such poor judgement (time and place for everything..) perhaps he could learn to make his own decisions instead of having you do it for him
Jug_Inspector wrote: Thanks for all of your suggestions, and for not being judgmental arses as has happened on another forum I frequent.. :roll:
Oh well nice while it lasted :roll:
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

One comment doesn'truin a thread. lots of suggestions are comeing through and you can't dismiss any of them really as you are him and arn't the rider, all you can do is hand them over to him and let him make the choice.

after all he is the one is going to to ride it, pay for it and keep it going. Also, my SD is also very comfy to ride at previously mentioned speeds without the desire to slow down to other figures.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

pieeater wrote:
Scotty wrote:And if he exercises such poor judgement (time and place for everything..) perhaps he could learn to make his own decisions instead of having you do it for him
Oh well nice while it lasted :roll:
Yeh, ouch.... Oh well...
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

How about a restrictor kit in the Viffer - like they do to 600's for the 33bhp rule - some big washers in the inlet?
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

He could certainly do with having better judgement about where & when.
For example, speeding on a deserted dual carriageway may be safe in terms of potential to cause harm to others, but as we all know, is the most likely way of getting caught by a camera.
He knows this, and he knows it even better now... and will no doubt stop doing it from now on.

I just help him because he's my mate, and some people need help every now & then, whether they want it or not. :mrgreen:

Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

billinom8s wrote: after all he is the one is going to to ride it, pay for it and keep it going. Also, my SD is also very comfy to ride at previously mentioned speeds without the desire to slow down to other figures.
You know what, your right.
My SD is also very comfy to ride at those speeds. It's not the wind pressure that makes me slow down, it's the wind noise as I have damaged my hearing riding (now use ear plugs). This urge to reduce cruising speed would only apply to me... so maybe going down the naked route might not help him that much anyway.
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

Thanks for all the input so far, it's been really useful... (for me mainly).

I think these two comments are the main points I'm taking away from this, after chatting about this with you guys I'm gonna stop talking to my mate about looking to replace his VFR. I'm sure what's coming will calm him down now, when commuting, but hopefully it won't put him off road riding altogether.
pieeater wrote:Keep the VFR if he likes it. Any road bike worth having is going to be capable of exceeding 100mph. Your mate has hopefully learned a costly but valuable lesson that you pick your moments.
graham22 wrote: TBH there's more to a bike than what speed it's happy/not happy at. A VFR is a good bike in so many areas, particularly how your mate uses it.
I'd be inclined to tell your mate to be more aware of what he's doing & his surroundings - what else is he missing if he can't read a speedo on a Honda of all things! :D
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

I think you've chosen wisely, as they say ; ' the throttle goes in both directions'..........
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .