Help me choose a new (used) bike for my mate please?

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Help me choose a new (used) bike for my mate please?

Post by Jug »

My mate will shortly be taking an unplanned hiatus from riding, or will at the very least be gained a load of points, which in this instance "do not make prizes".. :mrgreen:

So we are thinking his current VFR800 Vtec is not a good bike from him as it's too easy to speed on it.
He's always been into naked bikes but they rarely have a good enough tank range to be useful as a commuter.
So I'm trying to put together a short list of possible replacement (license friendly) bikes.
(I do this sort of stuff for him as I have more free time and I like looking into bikes)

So here is the rough requirement,
Upto £5k, 180 mile tank range, not really suited to riding above 100, suitable for traffic filtering.

My first choices were,

DL-650 Vtsrom
As I have one, loads of mpg & range, comfy for distance riding, protection from the weather, not really much happening above 90mph.
Cons: handlebars are at wing mirror height so filtering can be difficult.

Yamaha MT-07
Fun bike and not too powerful or too quick.
Cons: Small fuel tank so falls short on range.

Just stumbled across this...,

BMW F800R (2009-on)
798cc - 87 bhp
54 mpg - 190 miles range
Looks ideal..

Anyone know of any bad things that happen to these?
Any others I should recommend?
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: Help me choose a new (used) bike for my mate please?

Post by billinom8s »

Bit mondeo-ish.

What about a fazer, sv650, ktm390/690 ?
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
pieeater
First Name: Paul

Post by pieeater »

Keep the VFR if he likes it. Any road bike worth having is going to to be capable of exceeding 100mph. Your mate has hopefully learned a costly but valuable lesson that you pick your moments.

The last time I got done for speeding on a bike the copper told me that if I kept it under 85 I was unlikely to be pulled, that was over 30 years ago. I avoid riding on the types of road that are likely to be policed and if I do need to ride on the motorway or dual carriageways then I always keep it under 85 and am always looking for signs of speed traps or cars tailing me.

We have so many great roads to ride that are not worth the time for traffic cops to bother with where you can ride 'progressively' to your hearts content. Riding these roads will all but eliminate the chances of a fine or worse. Buying a slow bike will just take the enjoyment out of biking, trust me I've been there.
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

Wids of worsdom Pieeater. My sentiments perzactamente.
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

I gave up 4 cylinder bikes a couple years ago. Finding the v twins alot more relaxed to ride.I don't get the urge to hold it flat out any more.
The ducati st or air-cooled multistrada ride nice have 200 mile range. As long you don't mind the servicing.
ST4
DRZ400e
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

If he wants a decent tank range, a comfortable ride position, and something that won't encourage him to break speed limits, how about a ......... Varadero 125?

Anything 500cc and over should be easily capable of the national speed limit.

As a left-field suggestion, what about one of the KTM 390's?
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

Ducaki wrote: The ducati st or air-cooled multistrada ride nice have 200 mile range. As long you don't mind the servicing.
Increased service frequency is a no no, the bike will do 60 miles a day most working weeks, plus visiting people, and some fun use as well. In 2 years he's put almost 20k on his VFR.
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

TLS-Moose wrote: Anything 500cc and over should be easily capable of the national speed limit.
True but they don't get you far beyond that speed without you really wanting them too!
As for naked bikes, after a long stretch at 85 you'll soon be considering doing 75 instead, I know I do on my SD.
The Muppet
Learner Driver
First Name: Mandy

Post by The Muppet »

I have a MT07 and i can say the Fuel range is very good 150+ depending on how you ride it ...very easy to speed on LOL
Ducaki
Learner Driver
First Name: Nige

Post by Ducaki »

Cb500
ST4
DRZ400e
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Harley then. Or any other large cruiser twin.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver
First Name: aa

Post by awkwardbydesign »

Ducaki wrote:I gave up 4 cylinder bikes a couple years ago. Finding the v twins alot more relaxed to ride.I don't get the urge to hold it flat out any more.
The ducati st or air-cooled multistrada ride nice have 200 mile range. As long you don't mind the servicing.
I'll second that. But in my case it's an SV650 (S, as I don't like getting wet!). Even that has plenty of grunt for the road, sounds good, and is easy to ride. Cheap these days, easy to maintain, and mine has done nearly 50,000 miles, with minimal servicing. They will also do trackdays too*, as they handle well if you sort the suspension.
* Just not very quickly! :)):
awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver
First Name: aa

Post by awkwardbydesign »

TLS-Moose wrote:Harley then. Or any other large cruiser twin.
Nah, get a Guzzi, Harleys are ten a penny.
graham22
Learner Driver

Post by graham22 »

Jug_Inspector wrote: As for naked bikes, after a long stretch at 85 you'll soon be considering doing 75 instead, I know I do on my SD.
Sorry - that's rubbish unless you're riding a 600 Bandit with baggy textiles & an open face helmet, most modern supernakeds will sit at illegal speeds.

F800 BMW - not nice at all, flat, heavy and boring. SV650, ER6 and many more are nicer - had a F800R as a loan bike, looked forward to riding it as it looked fun - it wasn't. Ironically, couldn't wait to get it on a main road and sit at 100 which is actually where it worked best!

TBH there's more to a bike than what speed it's happy/not happy at. A VFR is a good bike in so many areas, particularly how your mate uses it.

I'd be inclined to tell your mate to be more aware of what he's doing & his surroundings - what else is he missing if he can't read a speedo on a Honda of all things! :D
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

And if he exercises such poor judgement (time and place for everything..) perhaps he could learn to make his own decisions instead of having you do it for him
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever