Can you force leaning into corners whilst (front) braking?

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Re: Can you force leaning into corners whilst (front) brakin

Post by Jug »

Ducaki wrote: Rich have you tryed rear trail braking?
Yup, I discovered that a few weeks back on my strom, 2up across Dartmoor. I was on the B3357 going from Two Bridges to Ashburton. There are a few downhill tight ones, almost switchbacks. I soon realised that trailing the rear into (and most of the way through) the corner had the bike turning in better and feeling more composed throughout the corners.

I need to adopt this technique on my SD but I can't adjust the brake pedal at the moment, the adjuster has seized. :(
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

awkwardbydesign wrote: It has been said (by Kevin Schwantz?) that if you have enough grip to brake, you have enough grip to get round the bend.
lol - so what's the message here, don't brake, just lay her in? :)):
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

Jug_Inspector wrote: I need to adopt this technique on my SD but I can't adjust the brake pedal at the moment, the adjuster has seized. :(
The standard rear brake on the 990SD is rubbish, so don't expect miracles.... I think that it's down to a mismatch between master cylinder and caliper piston sizes. There are a few old threads on superduke.net about fixes for it (involving replacing the caliper)
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
awkwardbydesign
Learner Driver
First Name: aa

Post by awkwardbydesign »

Jug_Inspector wrote:
awkwardbydesign wrote: It has been said (by Kevin Schwantz?) that if you have enough grip to brake, you have enough grip to get round the bend.
lol - so what's the message here, don't brake, just lay her in? :)):
Yes. As I discovered at Donington. First time, I braked and went into the gravel. Second time I kept my nerve, leant it more, and got round.
Millsyboy
Learner Driver
First Name: Paul

Post by Millsyboy »

I would only apply front brake before hitting the corner, never whilst during. This is just to scrub off some speed.
So to apply the rear, I guess this is done whilst leaned over in the corner? Does the rear tyre keep in line with bike when doing so?
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

Millsyboy wrote:I would only apply front brake before hitting the corner, never whilst during. This is just to scrub off some speed.
This is textbook but is more suited for the track where you have learnt the corners and can see if they are clear. Out on the street there can be many reasons why your chosen corner entry speed may be too fast for the given situation.
So you have 2 choices as far as I can see. Learn what to do in those situations or always ride into corners more cautiously/slowly.
Millsyboy wrote:
So to apply the rear, I guess this is done whilst leaned over in the corner? Does the rear tyre keep in line with bike when doing so?
Some advocate dragging the rear brake as you lean in, or before. The idea being that you don't suddenly upset the suspension mid corner when applying the brake.
Also by braking with just the rear you don't deform the front tyre, which is what creates the standing up response from the bike when using the front brake.
That's my understanding of rear braking so far..
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

If you dab the rear brake when exiting a corner at the point of opening the throttle the rear of the bike hunkers down giving you more traction as the rear tyre is being forced into the road surface.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

Is Jug Inspector thinking of doing this on the road or on track?
If you want to learn about it, do a load of trackdays and practise it, and read/watch Twist of the Wrist and Motovudu amongst others. If you're thinking of doing it on the road, it'll end in tears. Needing to brake into corners on the road indicates a case of TFF (figure the acronym out, it isn't difficult, the last word is Fast) - turning into corners and needing to brake will have you concentrating far too much to be able to mitigate things like tightening radius, bumps, holes, gravel, manhole covers, other traffic and so on. If you aren't travelling quickly enough to need the front brake, then why bother? With brakes as powerful as those on the SD, you'll just stop, and if you're riding with other people you just become a slow-moving obstacle in the middle of the corner and they won't thank you for it.
Braking into corners is fine on track, where the margins for error are much finer and you're travelling much more quickly, but it's the sort of thing you need to build up to it gently, bearing in mind the reduced coefficient of friction from your front tyre as you lean over and the force through it becomes a function of the lean angle (I can't be bothered to look up the physics of it right now). Plenty of top level racers end up in the kitty litter as a result of needing too much brake into a corner, and they have way more talent and better equipment for the job than any of us.
Best bear in mind the words of Dirty Harry: "A man's got to know his limitations"
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Still trying to convince him to lose the cherry and come and have a bimble at Llandow Scotty.

A nice, safe toe dip into circuit pleasure.
KTM 990 superduke R,
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

I do hope to join you on the 2018 track day.
I have leathers now too, I'm just a little scared TBH...

... of getting the bug and having to buy a track day bike and then having to attend all these different tracks here and abroad.... :mrgreen:
I'm not sure my bank balance, or garage for that matter, can cope with it all. :)):
Tomcat
Learner Driver
First Name: Des

Re: Can you force leaning into corners whilst (front) braking?

Post by Tomcat »

Compressing the forks will change the steering characteristics of the bike, but it'll revert back to normal as the brakes are released and the front comes up again. It can make the bike quicker to turn into the corner due to the temporary steeper head angle, but you should be tapering off the braking before reaching max lean or else you could be asking for more grip than the front wheel can deliver. On the road this isn't a real big issue because it's not big or clever to be cornering or braking on the limit. The thing to remember is the only real steering input you have on a bike is from countersteering, anything else is like trying to lift yourself up by your bootlaces.

If you don't believe me, read this: https://superbikeschool.com/about-us/ma ... s-machine/
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Just seen this thread and wanted to add my 2 pence
Basically follow the rule of keep the bike stable. As long as you are smooth and steady in what your doing your bike willl be better then you. You need need to make sure that you don’t do anything sudden. If your braking and then tip into the corner whilst still braking this is fine and the bike can do this as the tyres and suspention all work together to help you.
However if you tip into the corner and then grab for the brakes you are asking for trouble and this is what normally causes low sides when the front looses grip.
Progressive continuous and smooth is the way to go.

Having also struggled with tightening corners my biggest advice to you is always try to look as far down the road as possible when in the corner and focus on where you need to be rather then the room that you are running out of and it’s amazing how much you can still pull the bike round the corner.
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Jug
Learner Driver

Post by Jug »

Ok..., just to 'steer' this back to where it started, my question was not about cornering technique, as most of you will now know, I'm practically Rossi. :)): x_x

My question is about whether a bikes tendency to stand up straight when braking (whilst leaning) can be overcome safely.
Should you continue braking hard and wrestle the bike back over again to regain your line, or give up braking and just try to make the turn.

This is not a "normal riding" situation btw, or shouldn't be... it's a panic response to having misjudged a corner, and I'd gamble that it's happened to most of us as some point.
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Physics will want to fire it upright.

Pushing against the direction the bar wants to go will stop it lifting the bike upright, it will still want and try to right itself, nothing can be done about that.

You just have to judge your down force against the bikes' lift to keep it where you want it.

Think vertical counter steering.
KTM 990 superduke R,
jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Post by jer r1 »

Braking should be done before dropping into corner. If your braking then you have less grip left for leaning, it's always a play off between the two. Was told by Spike Edwards not to add braking just push bars harder.If your problems are road based then get some advanced training and learn to read the road..
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON