Do I need help or what?

Look in here for 'How to' guides that have been donated to us...

Moderator: Staff

Baldiman
Learner Driver
First Name: Brendan

Do I need help or what?

Post by Baldiman »

Hello all. I finally got myself a bike, another Honda Transalp 650. I do like the bike but I've never liked the fairings on them so I'm thinking of taking it off and getting a Mantis nose cone but here's where the problems start. I'd like to keep the original clocks but if not, maybe an Acewell digital speedo, I'll also need some radiator shrouds (hopefully Honda XR650 ones will fit). While hunting for the shrouds I came across these;

Apparently the wheels are from a CBR 600, does anyone know if there's anywhere local that might be able to do this sort of thing?
Baldiman
Learner Driver

Re: Do I need help or what?

Post by Baldiman »

billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

i have set them up as links for you, will look into them being thumbnails - i tend to use photobucket as its alot easier for this sort of thing :wink:
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Baldiman
Learner Driver

Post by Baldiman »

Thanks for that, hopefully someone will be able to help.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Fixed 8)

One of those bikes has the front wheel on back to front :-?
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Baldiman
Learner Driver

Post by Baldiman »

Me again.

Has anyone had any dealings with West Kernow Motorcycle Engineers in Penzance? I've had a look at their site and it looks like they might be able to help me or does anyone know of anyone closer to St Austell?
I've done a bit more researching and it appears that the wheels from a CBR600F would fit (17 x 2.50 front and 17 x 3.50 rear) plus the discs are the same size. I can't remember where I saw it but it said that the wheels would need Transalp wheel bearings plus spacers to align the wheels...thoughts anyone?
ninjajockey
Learner Driver

Post by ninjajockey »

I don't know of anyone local to you that could help, but any decent engineering firm should be able to knock up spacers to make the wheels fit. If the axles are the same diameter on both bikes then bearings should be ok, if not you'll need to get ones that have the outer diameter of the wheel and the right inner diameter for the spindle, you should have a bearing factor somewhere close that could get you what you need, all you have to do is measure them.
or you could get captive spacers that sleeve the bearings to the right diameter.
As for the brake discs, they may be the same size, but are they the same offset? if not will the transalp discs fit the cbr wheels?
( I only know this because I was looking to put a zx10r wheel into my zx7r, spacers were ok but I'd need custom discs to get the spacing right :( )
Tangoman
Learner Driver

Post by Tangoman »

If your looking for help, try Spike at Four Burrows, sorry don't have a number but if you are heading down the A30 from Carland Cross, about a mile from Chiverton roundabout you will see an old farm house on the right (just before the Bulb farm on the left) turn in there and ask for Spike he should be able to help. Failing that you have Dameralls
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

Dameralls will just look confused, they only do servicing by the book and not very well even then ;) . Haven't ever used them but lots of people I know have various horror stories about the place.

Might be worth doing a Google search for cbr600 wheels into transalp, it will probably chuck up a few sites where people have already done it and told the story of all mods neccesary :D :D
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

Weird that i was turning out some paperwork yesterday and i found a piece of paper with Spikes number on it that Ron the HDNL driver gave a couple of years ago 0187256003, but it seems a number short for more transalp info try http://www.xrv.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
plenty of transalp owners on there
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
badgerKDD
Site Moderator
First Name: Badger

Post by badgerKDD »

Mervin wrote:Weird that i was turning out some paperwork yesterday and i found a piece of paper with Spikes number on it that Ron the HDNL driver gave a couple of years ago 0187256003, but it seems a number short for more transalp info try http://www.xrv.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
plenty of transalp owners on there
You're missing another 0 in that number, its 01872 560003. I had it in my phone all the time #-o

If you want someone closer to St. Austell though, contact Dave Avery at Kernow Bike Training 07891012500. He uses a good bike mechanic near Roche and can give you his name and number.
Cut me in half and I'v got Suzuki written right through me!
Ride GSXR 750 WR ( 1994) .
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

Cheers Badger, I have never used it , Ron gave it to me as a possible source for Z650 parts if i needed any
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
EVILSON
Learner Driver

Post by EVILSON »

Try mark seaward, he's pretty f##king good, he makes a lot of parts his self.
His number is 01726 851733 give him a ring, im sure he'll sort you out, he's in st austell as well.
IF MY KNEE TOUCHES THE FLOOR, I'VE FALLEN OFF