Cockerpoo

Talk about anything...

Moderator: Staff

Moley551
Learner Driver
First Name: Martin

Cockerpoo

Post by Moley551 »

I'm looking for a Cockerpoo puppy, I've see some advertised in Tiverton any info good or bad gratefully received, really after a miniature one, we lost our Tibetan terrier a few weeks ago after 13 years, so I need another noisy smelly mutt or I might have to start talking to wife instead
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Re: Cockerpoo

Post by Robbo87 »

We had Labradoodles for well over 20 years - big 'uns, the ones crossed with Standard Poodles. Our last was 29" at the shoulder, weighed nearly 40 kilos and used to enjoy showing the local Farm dogs who was boss. All ours were huge characters - I once took Wooster, our first doodle, for a lap of honour on my grasstrack sidecar at a race meeting near St Erth, Cornwall - I don't know who was holding on tightest, the official passenger or the unofficial one, I got a right royal bollocking from the secretary of the meeting but a few quid in the Air Ambulance kitty helped me over that one. Some locals still remember it I'm told. If our circumstances changed and the wife'd let me I'd have another like a shot, but she wants exactly what you're thinking of getting - cos she owns the sensible gene in the family ...... .
But in my defence M'lud I have done some research, also first hand observation; and here's what I found:

Cockerpoos; there seems to be loads here in East Devon and I'll be honest and say that the more research I've done and the more I've seen of them, the more I've took a real liking to the little fellahs and/or fellahesses. Almost all the ones we've seen are Minature Poodles crossed with Cocker Spaniels. Apparantly the Toy Poodle X Cocker can sometimes gives problems e.g. Toy Poodles are smaller than Minatures and allegedly prone to more health issues, also unless properly trained are sometimes not so good with kids and can even can show behavioural issues like snappiness and general nervousness - sounds a bit like one of my ex's actualy! All the owners we've talked to say the same; that Cockerpoos are smart, adaptable, easy to train, patient and playfull with kids, love being around people and easily form bonds with family members. Most of 'em have loverly silky curly coats, they don't shed much either - if at all. They also never seem to grow up - we met a 13 year old one a week or so ago and it was as perky, friendly and playfull as any pup. Which except for the friendly bit is how I'm happy to be now I'm in my dotage - eh Si? No sniggering in the back there!

So now you -and I, know why we're having a Cockerpoo one day. But he/she won't be going for rides on a racing outfit, apparantly I don't want to do that sort of thing anymore :(
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Moley551
Learner Driver

Post by Moley551 »

I've got some friends and customers with Cockerpoo's hence the choice, all of them are totally nuts, my last dog was a Tibetan terrier he was a massive character in a small package, he grew up with my Girl's and became like a third child only he never left and went to Uni, he was like 6 year kid, did nothing the first time you asked and I'm sure I've seen him stamp his feet cross his arms and sulk. There are lots of Cockerpoo's advertised, I don't want to get one from someone puppy farming designer dogs.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Robbo87 wrote:We had Labradoodles for well over 20 years .........
You can tell who's bored & got time on there hands! :))
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

Moley551 wrote:....... like 6 year kid, did nothing the first time you asked and I'm sure I've seen him stamp his feet cross his arms and sulk.......
:)) :)) Basset hounds are exceptional at selective deafness, sulks, and "woe is me" looks too ....

We regularly see a few Tibetan terriers where we walk, and they seem great dogs 8)
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

TLS-Moose wrote:
Robbo87 wrote:We had Labradoodles for well over 20 years .........
You can tell who's bored & got time on there hands! :))
Gottit in one Mr Moose. My enforced lack of biking :(( is starting to show :-l 8-}
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

Moley551 wrote:I've got some friends and customers with Cockerpoo's hence the choice, all of them are totally nuts, my last dog was a Tibetan terrier he was a massive character in a small package, he grew up with my Girl's and became like a third child only he never left and went to Uni, he was like 6 year kid, did nothing the first time you asked and I'm sure I've seen him stamp his feet cross his arms and sulk. There are lots of Cockerpoo's advertised, I don't want to get one from someone puppy farming designer dogs.
My old Mum had a Tibetan Terrier - and she was a real character, as was Tilley the dog. My eldest niece now has one and loves it to bits; best mid-sized dog she says.
Gawd, what to do? Choices choices - if you know and like T T's why not stick with 'em? Or have both? Keep us up to speed whatever you decide cos we'll be getting one or the other of them I reckon and it'll interesting to hear how you get on.
Course, by the time we decide to have another dog I'll be back on the flying Fut and the Mrs will have to cope with Mutley - I'll have some bike riding to catch up on :D
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Moley551
Learner Driver

Post by Moley551 »

The wife won't have another TT yet, as the boy became her focus as the kids left for Uni, he helped a lot with the empty nest thing, he suffered from glaucoma and went blind 2 years ago then a year ago he developed diabetes and needed insulin twice a day, neither condition really seemed to bother him too much, a dogs "smellavision" is amazing, although he was 13 many people thought he was a pup and didn't notice his lack of sight, he even started to do what you told him. It will be nice to get a dog that plays fetch instead of a "you threw it crack on look".
Moley551
Learner Driver

Post by Moley551 »

I'm in deep do do, looked at a cockerpoo puppy today. ready on the 17th. hopefully the misses will be talking to me then......no problem if she isn't I'm
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Pics of the Puppy then please on the 17th
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Moley551
Learner Driver

Post by Moley551 »

Well I'm still breathing this morning, I did sleep with one eye open and possibly the body armour can come off later, I didn't think this would stir the "I've bought a new bike" level of aggression but thankfully, it hasn't been a re run of the 1999 "I've bought two new bikes" I definitely won't be making that mistake again.
Moley551
Learner Driver

Post by Moley551 »

7 weeks old
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

Tooooooooooo chouette. Looks a bit like 'Sweep' of 'Sooty' fame.
:o3
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
MellowYellow
Learner Driver
First Name: Larry

Post by MellowYellow »

Tother day I was turning L into a fairly main residential road, where a man/dog were walking on the far side from my R to L. The dog was looking at me and stopped, as did the owner a second later !

I found a parking spot about 20 yds down the road and, as I dismounted, was hit in the leg by a dog's head. Engine still running, helmet on and yet doggie wanted to say 'hello'.

I took off the hat, sat on the pavement and doggie sat down and rolled over on it's back awaiting belly rubs.

Was a Goldiedoodle. Gorgeous. Owner said the dog likes motorbikes !
Have you noticed that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster is a maniac ?
Moley551
Learner Driver

Post by Moley551 »

I'm more excited about the new Puppy, than any new bike I've ever had, about age 6 Christmas eve level, and still got a week to go....7 more sleeps to go.