Going up Porlock hill two up

Want some help with a bike related issues ?
No question too silly, no answer sarcasm free. We've all been there so feel free to tap the well.
Forum rules
No piss taking or stick poking from those who do, or think they know more.
ANY ABUSE WILL BE REMOVED, RECYCLED AND FIRED BACK WITH A BIG FRICKIN GUN.
Kata
Learner Driver
First Name: John

Re: Going up Porlock hill two up

Post by Kata »

The gsxr solo is straightforward up there btw so there's something in the fjr being a lump.

I have seen a BMW rt(?)1600 two up doing porlock hill and I must say I was impressed.
pieeater
First Name: Paul

Post by pieeater »

Kata wrote: Oct 17th, '18, 21:54 The gsxr solo is straightforward up there btw so there's something in the fjr being a lump.

I have seen a BMW rt(?)1600 two up doing porlock hill and I must say I was impressed.
Having gone through the obvious I'd be looking at the suspension setup as it could be the steering geometry is off causing it to run wide. I'd definitely check the preload front and rear (static / rider sag) as too little will cause the bike to drop at the front and / or back which will throw the geometry out. If the bike is of an age then it might be worthwhile having the forks / shock refurbished.
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

pieeater wrote: Oct 18th, '18, 12:42
Kata wrote: Oct 17th, '18, 21:54 The gsxr solo is straightforward up there btw so there's something in the fjr being a lump.

Having gone through the obvious I'd be looking at the suspension setup as it could be the steering geometry is off causing it to run wide. I'd definitely check the preload front and rear (static / rider sag) as too little will cause the bike to drop at the front and / or back which will throw the geometry out. If the bike is of an age then it might be worthwhile having the forks / shock refurbished.
At 30-40mph + maybe, but I'd suggest that at walking pace suspension set-up will make cob all difference. You could replace the shocks with lumps of wood and it wouldn't affect things too much. I think these things can be over-thought a little. JFDI. :-? :))
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

[/quote]

. . . . . . . At 30-40mph + maybe, but I'd suggest that at walking pace suspension set-up will make cob all difference. You could replace the shocks with lumps of wood and it wouldn't affect things too much. I think these things can be over-thought a little. JFDI. :-? :))
[/quote]

Succinct and to the point, and correct!

JFDI - =)) !
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Post by jer r1 »

Running wide is usually caused by turning in to early and target fixation when you start running wide. The fjr is quiet stable at low speeds even when fitted with panniers.
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
Kata
Learner Driver

Post by Kata »

Yep it's stable at slow speeds.

Think your right. Going to try Mr B's suggestion. First with gsxr to get confidence back then again with the fjr.
jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Post by jer r1 »

Is your pillion experienced, could be pulling you wide.
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
ptolemyx
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Brian

Post by ptolemyx »

If you approach said bend with at least 60mph and brake hard to the apex whilst looking as far ahead as possible (not fixated at the tarmac right under you) just point and squirt - simples :twisted:
old and disgraceful so doing what I can while I can before I can't
Kata
Learner Driver

Post by Kata »

ptolemyx wrote: Oct 19th, '18, 18:07 If you approach said bend with at least 60mph and brake hard to the apex whilst looking as far ahead as possible (not fixated at the tarmac right under you) just point and squirt - simples :twisted:
:-bd :)) :)) :))
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Post by Mervin »

Anybody tried Millook near Bude 2 up on a biggish road bike , i have only ever done it on the the big thumper honda trailie tpye thing
millook.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Kata
Learner Driver

Post by Kata »

This looks useful.
https://youtu.be/-qJXO4CZ9S0
Kata
Learner Driver

Post by Kata »

This looks useful.
https://youtu.be/-qJXO4CZ9S0
pieeater
First Name: Paul

Post by pieeater »

TLS-Moose wrote: Oct 19th, '18, 08:54
pieeater wrote: Oct 18th, '18, 12:42

At 30-40mph + maybe, but I'd suggest that at walking pace suspension set-up will make cob all difference. You could replace the shocks with lumps of wood and it wouldn't affect things too much. I think these things can be over-thought a little. JFDI. :-? :))
Fair enough - I just thought that if the geometry is out then the center of gravity would be too which could affect low speed steering round bends, going up such a steep incline would also affect the center of gravity which could compound the problem. I may well be guilty as charged of overthinking the problem though it just seems a shame that an otherwise capable bike appears to be having these issues.
Kata
Learner Driver

Post by Kata »

Actually imho the suspension can have an effect at slow speed. More the front forks than the rear.

If I change between neutral and slight acceleration there's fair bit of fork movement. Think that's due to the back sitting to far down as the stndars rear shock isn't really first for purpose on the FJR.

Yes it would help if I was smoother but the clutch is hydraulic and a bit on-off compared to the slick gsxr cable actuated one.

Excuse 23 (c) me 2018
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Got to say have not done a lot of 2 up riding but when I do it is not that enjoyable as a ride. That said Gixxers are not the best bike for 2 up riding and basically all of the weight of the passenger ends up leaning on the rider so not so great. From a handling perspective just due to the extra weight it is going to make changes to everything you do as speeding up, slowing down and turning will require you to move more mass then usual. Feels odd....
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.