uh oh

Latest information on South-West-Bikers...

Moderator: Staff

Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Re: th oh

Post by Mervin »

The infamous Roseworthy dip on the A30 in cornwall has caught many a driver , it has a speed camera on it , it is 4 lanes, 2 up 2 down , but as it has no central reservation / barrier it is only classed a sa single carriageway road , they have made loads of money out of that camera over the years ,

I know one truck driver that got out of a fine and points once very craftily but you cannot do it with anything but an artic , or road train , he was caught on camera speeding , when he got the ticket he wrote back and told them he had lent his trailer to a french company for the day and was not using it himself , and the french do not carry number plates as their trailers are registered with their own reg plates , and he got away with it !!!

Thats from the highway code vans over 2 tons are 50mph on ornery roads, but note the car derived vans bit for under 2 tons , bit of a grey area with some of the people carriers / vans avaialble now

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

I THINK I know where the 'Roseworthy dip' is Merv' but please clarify - and ta for finding and posting a clearly stated speed limit chart.

Note folks, the bit about 'up to 2 tons laden weight' in Merv's post above - that's DESIGN weight, not actual weight; meaning that even if you're running empty in, for example, your long wheelbase Tranny (which may be plated for up to 3.5 tonnes if it's a twin-wheel rear axle jobby) and you're doing anything over 60 mph on a dual carriageway you're at risk of a fine and penalty points.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Mervin
SWB Subscriber

Post by Mervin »

Its on the A30 just west of the Camborne west junction between camborne and Hayle

also see this for more info https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

roseworthy .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Post by Robbo87 »

Mervin wrote: Jan 13th, '19, 18:00 Its on the A30 just west of the Camborne west junction between camborne and Hayle

also see this for more info https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
Cheers Merv' :-bd I thought that where it was. Only down Camborne way a coupla days ago, stopped in Smokey Joes for nosh - famous place, a Cornish cafe institution, glad it's still there ~o) ~o) ~o) .

THIS is the bit that can catch out the van drivers amongst you:
Goods vehicles (not more than 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight) . . . MPH(KPH) . . . 30 (48) 50 (80) 60 (96) 70 (112)
60 (96) if articulated or towing a trailer

Basicaly, if yer vans more than 2 tonnes laden this applies to you.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
bkingalan
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Alan

Post by bkingalan »

When I went to wincanton in the week it looked very much like a duel carriageway to me rich 🤔🤔🤔🤔
MV 1000 brutale rs
MV 800 turismo veloce luso
Mervin
SWB Subscriber

Post by Mervin »

Oh yes Smokey Joes, that is a very busy cafe, was down there last spring decided to have a mixed grill, there was enough food for 2 on that plate,
Hunter S Thompson
TLS-Moose
Site Admin
Location: The fringes of NA, sadly not the UK equivalent of LA!!

Post by TLS-Moose »

The whole CDV thing is quite murky. To qualify as CDV it has to be on the registration form. My 2015 MK2 Citroen Berlingo meets all the requirements of CDV, but is registered as a light commercial vehicle (van) and is therefore subject to the lower speed limits. We have had people caught doing 70 on dual carriageways & prosecuted.
Of all the things I have ever lost, I miss my mind the most .....

Handle stressful situations like a dog - If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away
Mervin
SWB Subscriber

Post by Mervin »

TLS-Moose wrote: Jan 13th, '19, 19:22 The whole CDV thing is quite murky. To qualify as CDV it has to be on the registration form. My 2015 MK2 Citroen Berlingo meets all the requirements of CDV, but is registered as a light commercial vehicle (van) and is therefore subject to the lower speed limits. We have had people caught doing 70 on dual carriageways & prosecuted.
I think my fiesta van is registered as a light commercial to
Hunter S Thompson
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

bkingalan wrote: Jan 13th, '19, 18:23 When I went to wincanton in the week it looked very much like a duel carriageway to me rich 🤔🤔🤔🤔
Yup, I was being dumb. Just checked again on my phone and the town just below and left is Holton and not Honiton lol.

I am thinking of remodeling my vans interior to make it a day van/camper rather than a stealth surf van. If I did that I could re-register it as a campervan and then car speed limits would apply.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Re: uh oh

Post by billinom8s »

don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.