Any CRF experts??

If you like to get dirty, dusty or just end up buried in a hedge, find it here.
Woodyz
Learner Driver
First Name: Woody

Re: Any CRF experts??

Post by Woodyz »

Oh.. sorry, confused! So basically the bike I was considering..
Scotty
Learner Driver
First Name: Simon

Post by Scotty »

Woodyz wrote: Jul 30th, '21, 18:01 .....It does though get me thinking.. yours is a 450?? I’ve been told (as I’m pretty new to off road riding) that this would be too much to handle?? There are a lot of 450s at decent prices, but I’m wary?? So much to consider!…
As an off-road beginner, only buy a 450 if you're a) outstandingly talented, or b) you like hospital food. It'll most likely be (b) - no offence - but a 450 isn't much heavier than a 250 (we're talking enduro bikes here, not the 250L) and will have pretty brutal power delivery.

A couple of years ago Honda did release a CRF 450L which pricked a lot of people's interest as it would have all the civilities of the 250, and maybe share its mass, but would have the same long service intervals and more power than the 250 - as it turns out the power is electronically neutered to around 30bhp! Not sure why, and it may well be possible to liberate it with a small plug-in or tweak, but the other big negative was the price - they were asking £9k! Since the launch and initial news I've heard nothing more of the 450L.

I've had a WR250F for ten years now and it's still better than I am. Great to ride off-road, but terrible on road due to low gearing (and only 5 gears) and a pretty horrible seat. As mentioned previously, a WR250R would make a great green laner if you can find one, definitely worth a look, less highly strung than the F, and more civilised with things like indicators, brake lights, and a horn!
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen
Wheelies - they ARE big and they ARE clever
Woodyz
Learner Driver

Post by Woodyz »

Cheers bud. Unfortunately, I don’t like hospital food & I also won’t be ticking box A!
It’s a minefield of options..
Ming
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Andy

Post by Ming »

Definitely agree that a 450 would be too much. I had a Sherco 450 a while back and it was an animal. Grunt just when you didn't need it. Just had to move the throttle a millimetre and it would take off. Not easy keeping your hand still on the rough stuff.
Sold it and bought a CRF230. Small, air cooled, impossible to kill, electric start, cost pence to run.
Kinda like a large trials bike but with a better seat.
Not brilliant on the road as realistically 50mph is your limit. I ran 8 of them in Spain and never had one engine or clutch problem in 4 years and countless kms. Stick a Hagon shock on it and it's very capable, especially on gnarly lanes.
If you're over 13 stone or 5'10 I'd avoid though....
KTM 1190ADV - sold
KTM 790ADV - sold
KTM 790 Duke - current
Honda CB300R - can I get any smaller 🙄
Woodyz
Learner Driver

Post by Woodyz »

Thanks for all the advice on the CRF guys, much appreciated. So I took it all on and accidentally bought a KTM excf 350!
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Haha! Welcome to the orange crew.

Remember . . . . .

K eep
T aking
M money
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

K now
T he
M echanic
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Post by jer r1 »

You'll love it. Ignore all the bollocks about bikes being to much to handle, you just ride higher gears and use the torque giving an even smoother ride . Plus you don't go backwards on road aections.
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
Woodyz
Learner Driver

Post by Woodyz »

So far, def agree. Smooth as & doesn’t seem too much.. might be a different story in the woods..
Woodyz
Learner Driver

Post by Woodyz »

Anyone out anytime soon?? I need to get this bike dirty!
Dan_RR
Learner Driver
First Name: Dan

Post by Dan_RR »

Woodyz wrote: Aug 8th, '21, 18:40 Anyone out anytime soon?? I need to get this bike dirty!
What age 350 did you go for? I quite fancy a 350 as my next laner, had my fairly bulletproof rfs engine'd exc 250 for nearly 3 years now but it does feel pretty slow, ideal for the lanes tbf as you can ride it flat out most of the time but I wouldn't mind a little more grunt!
Link to all my drifting shenanigans, motorbike track days and a few 'how to's....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfKNYG ... REP05rR1bA
Woodyz
Learner Driver

Post by Woodyz »

2014. 118 hours. Only been out once. Not a massive jump power wise, just so smooth in comparison.
Dan_RR
Learner Driver
First Name: Dan

Post by Dan_RR »

That's cool, looking at the specs any excf from around that age and newer are are about 7/8kg lighter than my older 06 rfs plus the 350 like yours and the six days etc have atleast another 10hp than mine so I reckon it would be noticeable (I hope), won't be doing anything yet but some point in the future. Only problem is my bike has been pretty bulletproof so reluctant to change for that reason, anyways off to a CORE event next weekend. Maybe see you at a muddy ride sometime. Cheers
Link to all my drifting shenanigans, motorbike track days and a few 'how to's....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfKNYG ... REP05rR1bA