Help … knackered button head hex bolt!

Any General info on Mechanics based on 'all' bikes...

Moderator: Staff

Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Re: Help … knackered button head hex bolt!

Post by Mervin »

just drill the head off now theres a good chance once thehead has gone the rest of the bolt will be fingertight or a pair of pliers will grip the remaining bolt piece and turn it
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

Buy a left handed drill bit as that might actually unscrew the bolt whilst you are drilling off the head.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Tvrv37
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Phil

Post by Tvrv37 »

What material is it screwed into. Very difficult to drill steel bolts out of softer materials without cocking it up. I would centre punch the broken extractor then use a left handed drill bit. Apply some heat from a mini/kitchen blow torch first if you can do it without melting something plastic.
KTM 1290 SD GT, Tuono fighter V twin, RSV 1000 factory trackday, Yamaha RD250E,
MikeZ
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Mike

Post by MikeZ »

Just a note. When replacing that bolt, use an A4 stainless not an A2 stainless, much better and not that much more expensive.
banditman
Learner Driver
First Name: kevin

Post by banditman »

These Irwin extractors are really good cos they grip the outside of the bolt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

That looks a handy set of extractor sockets. I might have to indulge.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Robbo87 wrote: Feb 19th, '23, 16:05 That looks a handy set of extractor sockets. I might have to indulge.
They are mighty handy.
Irwin do 2 sets of 5 to cover all normal sizes. And they do bite in very very hard which is brilliant.

I have abused mine and then some. Wouldn't be without a set now.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

Ruffian wrote: Feb 19th, '23, 17:39
Robbo87 wrote: Feb 19th, '23, 16:05 That looks a handy set of extractor sockets. I might have to indulge.
They are mighty handy.
Irwin do 2 sets of 5 to cover all normal sizes. And they do bite in very very hard which is brilliant.

I have abused mine and then some. Wouldn't be without a set now.
Cheers. As a dyed in the wool bodger this is something I NEED! :)):
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
DaveH
Learner Driver
First Name: Dave

Post by DaveH »

Robbo87 wrote: Feb 16th, '23, 11:58 Hmm . . . . . Is there room to dremel two flats on opposite sides of the screw head and then get an open ended spanner (or, in extremise, a good set of mole grips) at it?
Or, grind off the whole screw head (broke screw extractor and all), then drill out . . . . and rethread to one size bigger i.e. M5 to M6.
Or, ---------- // ------------------- ------------- // --------------- ---- // ------ . . . . to whatever size needed to accommodate a through bolt and backnut.
Or, ---------- // ------------------- ------------- // ----------------- ----- // ------- . . . . and fit a M4, M5 or M6 'Rivnut' - I have these, they're a godsend in situations like this. If you want to go down this route, I can do that at mine for you.
Hiya Phil … I gave the Dremel a go and there isn’t enough room to get in there … is the offer still open to bring it over to yours for more drastic measures??
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

DaveH wrote: Mar 13th, '23, 19:10
Robbo87 wrote: Feb 16th, '23, 11:58 Hmm . . . . . Is there room to dremel two flats on opposite sides of the screw head and then get an open ended spanner (or, in extremise, a good set of mole grips) at it?
Or, grind off the whole screw head (broke screw extractor and all), then drill out . . . . and rethread to one size bigger i.e. M5 to M6.
Or, ---------- // ------------------- ------------- // --------------- ---- // ------ . . . . to whatever size needed to accommodate a through bolt and backnut.
Or, ---------- // ------------------- ------------- // ----------------- ----- // ------- . . . . and fit a M4, M5 or M6 'Rivnut' - I have these, they're a godsend in situations like this. If you want to go down this route, I can do that at mine for you.
Hiya Phil … I gave the Dremel a go and there isn’t enough room to get in there … is the offer still open to bring it over to yours for more drastic measures??
Of course. Can you get to Ottery during the day? Make it early-ish p.m. if you can't. Thursday, Friday or Saturday suits me. I'm not weather dependant as have a heated garage :D .
If possible can you bring a cordless drill pls? My faithful Makita has blown its battery and a replacement won't be with me for over a week. If you don't have one, I can borrow one. Just let me know.
I'll p.m. you my address.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
DaveH
Learner Driver
First Name: Dave

Post by DaveH »

Big thanks to Phil and his still unused Dremel extension shaft, drill bits, punches and magic hammer.

Job jobbed and my Africa Twin now has a little bit of Italian to her :-)
Robbo87
Learner Driver

Post by Robbo87 »

You're welcome Dave, glad we sorted it. Your Africa Twin will be henceforth known as a Hondaprilia of course :)): .

For the record, despite all the technological wizardry and tools available we cured the issue c/o a WW2 US army-issue centre punch, a mark 2 ball pein hammer (probably also of 1940's vintage, I've had it forever :D ) and a mark 1 eyeball.
Never forget the old saying folks (the one that Roy invented - probably) 'The art of bodge, it never fails'.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
royb
SWB Subscriber
First Name: Roy

Post by royb »

Often forgotten, in many sizes, a hammer is a useful tool.