Any CRF experts??

If you like to get dirty, dusty or just end up buried in a hedge, find it here.
Woodyz
Learner Driver
First Name: Woody

Any CRF experts??

Post by Woodyz »

Hey guys. Just looking into getting a newer green lane bike as the kick start on my 20 year old wr is getting tiring! I keep looking at the usual suspects, but the CRF L (L is the important bit here) just seems such a bargain. I understand it’s not as aggressive as many, but seems with a sprocket change and the correct tyres, it is a capable laner?? A lot less servicing required and a 20 plate bike for under £4K!
does anyone have any experience with this bike on the lanes?
Cheers.
jer r1
SWB Subscriber
First Name: jerry

Re: Any CRF experts??

Post by jer r1 »

I know they're bloody heavy, over 30 kg heavier than my 450.
KEEP CALM
AND
POWER ON
Woodyz
Learner Driver

Post by Woodyz »

30kg more than a 450! Have read that are on the heavier side..hmm.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

I read an interesting thread about them on the old TRF forum, one guy summed them up as being okay but you need to adjust your expectation, think of them as lightweight adventure bikes.

I guess a lot depends on what your local area is like, some areas are so flat that you could easily ride their lanes on a full sized adventure bike, and if that is your only experience you might think the CRF250L is great little lane bike. Thankfully the south west is not like that and I think its' limits would be exposed pretty quickly.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Woodyz
Learner Driver

Post by Woodyz »

Interesting viewpoint. I’ve been reading a lot of good stuff about them (although weight is a constant negative) but haven’t considered what lanes they have been on.
Just seems an ideal bike I don’t have to worry about & could use as winter road bike.. if it handles the lanes ..
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

you'll be swapping one tired leg for two tired legs, knackered arms and a sore back =))
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.
Jug
Learner Driver
First Name: Richard

Post by Jug »

WR250R is similar but is lighter and more powerful, and is actually a pretty good lane bike for around here.
1190 Adventure S, 990 Superduke, DRZ-400E - all the bases covered.
Ruffian
First Name: ian

Post by Ruffian »

Did go out for a ride with 2 people on crf 250 l,

They seem fairly capable bike as well as comfortable.
Would be a decent compromise bike.

Most bikes now will be more than capable than the rider behind it.
For example there it Pol Tarris who is riding a yamaha tenere 700 on the red bull romainiacs and doing fairly well considering.
"Welding is like cheese on toast! It gets hot and sticks together"
Woodyz
Learner Driver

Post by Woodyz »

This is my theory.. the bike is gonna be way more capable than I am! Seem to for sale for very good price with mods already done.. 🤔🤔
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

You just want a newer Bike don't you? =))
KTM 990 superduke R,
Woodyz
Learner Driver

Post by Woodyz »

Elec start was initial reason for looking, then add a bit to the budget and get carried away.. the normal!
billinom8s
Site Admin

Post by billinom8s »

Don't forget the cruise control and baby pillion seat.
KTM 990 superduke R,
f0zzy
Learner Driver
First Name: Steve

Post by f0zzy »

As a CRF owner, I can confirm all the above comments are true-ish...

First thing to admit is that mine is not stock. Here's the list of mods I and previous owners have made in order to improve its green laning abilities:

- Fork spring change (Racetech - thanks to billinom8s for this work) big improvement in handling over rocks and ruts
- Rear shock replacement (YSS) significantly reduced the sag and improved handling (I had to wind up preload on the stock shock)
- EJK injection controller (not my mod)
- FMF full system (loud)
- Airbox mod (some believe this is worth extra BHP, but I just worry it will let in water during cross river riding)
- 13/42T sprockets

I can't comment on the supposed improved performance as I've not ridden a stock CRF but the handling I can attest to, it is much better.

The CRF is NOT a thoroughbred enduro bike, it's also not a long-distance adventure bike. But I think it's a good blend of both. You can ride 30 miles to where the green lanes start, (depending on your skill level) ride the green lanes, then ride home again. It will wear you out if you have to lift it up after you fall off as it is heavy (compared to a KTM or WR). So just learn to ride better (I am still learning so fall, a lot).

It will cruise at 50/60 (depending on gearing) fine all day, plus get you over the rocks and ruts when you're having fun. It won't need rebuilding after 300hrs or 2000 miles, it will just need oil change after 5000.

I had an issue with my clutch during the last muddy ride I attended, but I think that was inexperience more than the bike. I was slipping the clutch up a particularly rocky lane to try and keep up my momentum. I've since changed the oil and it still slips a little so will need to change the clutch. If you google CRF slipper clutches apparently it's not uncommon.

I paid £3k for my 2014 model, had it a year, could probably sell it for the same and just write off the £300 in suspension mods. But it's staying in the garage ready for this coming winter season as its bloody good fun!

Hope that help.

Maybe see you on the trails.

Fozz.
Image One day I will be back here...
Woodyz
Learner Driver

Post by Woodyz »

Thanks Fozz, excellent review . It does though get me thinking.. yours is a 450?? I’ve been told (as I’m pretty new to off road riding) that this would be too much to handle?? There are a lot of 450s at decent prices, but I’m wary?? So much to consider!…

Si, not sure if Ab would Ok a baby seat on the bike, but soon as the little lady can touch the floor, she will be getting a bike!
f0zzy
Learner Driver
First Name: Steve

Post by f0zzy »

Woodsy, nope CRF250L.

450L is way more ££’s plus is more like an enduro than a dual sport, so has the service interval issue.
Image One day I will be back here...