Why we ride motorcycles - probably.

Anything to do with 2 wheels...

Moderator: Staff

Robbo87
Learner Driver
First Name: Phil

Why we ride motorcycles - probably.

Post by Robbo87 »

I nicked this from an Army veterans bikers' site and I might be preaching to the converted, but IMHO it sums us up nicely:

“Riding a motorcycle doesn't call to everyone. It carries a level of risk that is anathema to most. And it demands a level of competence, a degree of engagement that is unusual in today's society.
Like an old craft, the skills and the wisdom necessary to be successful at it don't come quickly, but emerge only slowly, over time. Most people today simply don't have the patience or the inclination to deal with that sort of thing.
But for those of us who do, to that tiny minority who are drawn to it, the rewards are immeasurable.
For us, riding imbues life itself with colour, tinges it with adventure. It connects us to a time when people weren't perhaps quite so shy about how they lived.
A time when everything wasn't a careful, exacting calculus of risk and reward.
A bolder time when a fear of getting hurt didn't stand as an impenetrable shield to the simple enjoyment of life.
So, yeah, those of us who ride are definitely different. But it's a good difference.
We carry something that once was common but now is rare. Something of the distilled essence of what got us all here.
We're the last wolves, in a land of sheep.”
Triumph Sprint ST 1050.
Mervin
SWB Subscriber
First Name: mervin

Re: Why we ride motorcycles - probably.

Post by Mervin »

Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles,
Hunter S Thompson
menzies3032
Site Moderator
First Name: Robert

Post by menzies3032 »

Love the above and fully agree

Also could not agree with you more Mervin

Have often said that the trouble with our roads is not that “speed kills” it is the lack of attention and ability that does, speed normally has little to do with it.

Unlike car drivers who pass there test and then for the most part never ever have instruction again think it’s fair to say “most” bikers will consider passing their test as the start of their journey and will continue to learn and advance. (By the way include myself in that statement did bugger all after passing my car test but done loads to improve bike skills)
Living in Teignmouth and riding a BMW F900R SE (in Suzuki blue colours :-bd )
Follow SWB on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/South-West-Bik ... 4853502983
To receive SWB Whatsapp event notifications PM me your mobile number.
Busa Bro
Learner Driver
First Name: Karl

Post by Busa Bro »

Mostly because they like the look.
Gives them a pre-packaged identity.
And can't think of anything else to spend their money on Lol.

Last of the wolves? Give us a break. Lol
Busa Bro
Learner Driver
First Name: Karl

Post by Busa Bro »

Or is it just me? Hahaha
billinom8s
Site Admin
First Name: simon

Post by billinom8s »

Sounds very American to me, only thing missing was a rousing band, flag waving and a few yee-has.

I bet the author rides a custom with an acre of chrome too. :-bd

For me personally, I find that if you have to bleat on about it, you're not riding for 'the right reason'.

Ride your own ride and don't feel the need to justify what or at what pace to others.
don't forget we are onX and Instagrambelieve it or not !!!
southwestbikers@southwestbikers (original, I know.)
KTM 990 superduke R,
Zx10r trackbike, ktm 350 excf muddy
Suspension and bike work undertaken.